WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

All your bird talk in here
Willpar

Re: WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

Post by Willpar » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:38 am

Never seen a siskin peregrine. Probably don't come down this far south. Only ever had a greenfinch here once, many years ago.

Placido

Post by Placido » Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:12 pm

Cleaned and refilled the Olympic-sized baffie this morning - and the first customer was a male bullfinch :D !!
Haven't seen one for ages.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:05 pm

Good spot placi, nice to have such a lovely bird grace the baffie.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:21 pm

I noticed today that my Sparrow terrace inhabitants are again feeding youngsters. I know for certain this is the second brood so they are having a good year. :nod:

Placido

Post by Placido » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:59 am

Yes, Jacksparrow, I think that it's a very good year for all sorts: blackbirds, sparrows, robins and bluetits.
Can;t remember when I had so many young sparrows flitting about, memorising the garden and just generally having fun :).

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:31 pm

When I went to the garden this morning, there was a pile of grey feathers :( . As I went to clean the spot, I saw the beak among them, that's all that was left of a poor starling youngster :( . I don't know what killed it but I guess it must have been a bird of prey, by the position where it was and the fact that it was eaten right there on the lawn. So depressing to see :(

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:24 pm

Butterfly wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:31 pm
When I went to the garden this morning, there was a pile of grey feathers :( . As I went to clean the spot, I saw the beak among them, that's all that was left of a poor starling youngster :( . I don't know what killed it but I guess it must have been a bird of prey, by the position where it was and the fact that it was eaten right there on the lawn. So depressing to see :(
It is always sad when you happen upon the pitiful collection of feathers that were once a young bird with all it's life in front of it. But it is wild life in the raw and we must accept that it 's loss was a gain for another avian family. :nod:

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:32 pm

Jacksparrow wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:24 pm
Butterfly wrote:
It is always sad when you happen upon the pitiful collection of feathers that were once a young bird with all it's life in front of it. But it is wild life in the raw and we must accept that it 's loss was a gain for another avian family. :nod:
I agree Jack :nod: , its just very sad, specially when it happens in your garden, the place where they feel safe :( . But life goes on ...
And I saw this little guy earlier, foraging :D
I think it might be a baby dunnock but I'm not sure :scratch: , or maybe robin? :scratch: Any ideas? :)

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:42 pm

Butterfly wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 12:32 pm
Jacksparrow wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:24 pm
Butterfly wrote:
I agree Jack :nod: , its just very sad, specially when it happens in your garden, the place where they feel safe :( . But life goes on ...
And I saw this little guy earlier, foraging :D
I think it might be a baby dunnock but I'm not sure :scratch: , or maybe robin? :scratch: Any ideas? :)
I think it is a juvenile Dunnock :nod:

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:59 am

I thought so :nod: . I'm really delighted to see this little one, my residents dunnocks have gone off the radar, but they've been busy, clearly :love: :D
Lovely birds :hug2: