WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

All your bird talk in here
greenfinch2

Re: WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

Post by greenfinch2 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:38 pm

Very quiet feeders ,been like that for ages but plenty sparrows .

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:09 am

I was about to get out to put the food in the feeders, had it in my hand and was opening the door when I heard this bird screaming! I saw a sparrowhawk landing on the garden fence with a starling in its claws, who was screaming, at the same time as I opened the door :faint: . I went "shoo" :eek: , the starling wriggled out and flew into a hiding place in my rose while the sparrowhawk flew off! I almost had a heart attack :eek:
I clearly startled it and probably saved little starling fledgling's life.
The young starling stayed there, in its hiding place for a while, about 20 minutes, without moving at all. I could hardly see it it was hidden well.
It flew off after that, seemingly fine, probably just traumatised . What a lucky escape! :eek:
Needless to say, feeders are very quiet at the moment :bolt:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:55 pm

Butterfly wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:09 am
I was about to get out to put the food in the feeders, had it in my hand and was opening the door when I heard this bird screaming! I saw a sparrowhawk landing on the garden fence with a starling in its claws, who was screaming, at the same time as I opened the door :faint: . I went "shoo" :eek: , the starling wriggled out and flew into a hiding place in my rose while the sparrowhawk flew off! I almost had a heart attack :eek:
The young starling stayed there, in its hiding place for a while, about 20 minutes, without moving at all. I could hardly see it it was hidden well.
It flew off after that, seemingly fine, probably just traumatised . What a lucky escape! :eek:
I have disturbed a Sprawk on several occasions only to see it depart with it's victim in it's talons :(
Your Sturklet was very very lucky. :nod:

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:59 pm

Jacksparrow wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:55 pm
Butterfly wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:09 am
I have disturbed a Sprawk on several occasions only to see it depart with it's victim in it's talons :(
Your Sturklet was very very lucky. :nod:
Yes it was, it was really lucky :nod: . I still can't believe the scene I witnessed, what a start of the day that was! :faint:

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:40 pm

There was another similar SH attack today :( . Everything was normal, when all of a sudden I heard this loud thump which made me jump :eek: , and saw that it was a wood pigeon that flew into the glass door, clearly in panic. At the same time I heard a starling crying and SH holding it on the ground :faint: . I run outside (barefoot, no time for putting garden shoes on) shooing and waving my hands like a mad person :eek: . The SH tried to lift off and fly away with the poor starling in its talons but because I was getting closer and making so much noise it let it go. Starling flew away in one direction and SH in the opposite. I went to inspect the place where it all happened and saw few drops of blood on the grass :( . Poor thing was obviously injured, and even though it flew away I'm not sure how badly the injury is and if it will survive :( . That SH really needs to get a message that my garden is not a good place to hunt :wife: :grumpy: . I must admit, its a stunning looking bird :yes:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:32 pm

Butterfly wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:40 pm
There was another similar SH attack today :( . Everything was normal, when all of a sudden I heard this loud thump which made me jump :eek: , and saw that it was a wood pigeon that flew into the glass door, clearly in panic. At the same time I heard a starling crying and SH holding it on the ground :faint: . I run outside (barefoot, no time for putting garden shoes on) shooing and waving my hands like a mad person :eek: . The SH tried to lift off and fly away with the poor starling in its talons but because I was getting closer and making so much noise it let it go. Starling flew away in one direction and SH in the opposite. I went to inspect the place where it all happened and saw few drops of blood on the grass :( . Poor thing was obviously injured, and even though it flew away I'm not sure how badly the injury is and if it will survive :( . That SH really needs to get a message that my garden is not a good place to hunt :wife: :grumpy: . I must admit, its a stunning looking bird :yes:
Sprawks are persistent and once they have identified a likely place for an easy meal they will return. With the best will in the world you cannot police your garden 24/7 so there will be times when it has a successful attack and kill. :(

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:55 pm

Jacksparrow wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:32 pm
Butterfly wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:40 pm
Sprawks are persistent and once they have identified a likely place for an easy meal they will return. With the best will in the world you cannot police your garden 24/7 so there will be times when it has a successful attack and kill. :(
You are right Jack, I can't patrol it all the time :( , I'm just hoping I scared it enough to start thinking its not a place for an easy meal since this is the second time I chased it away. It did kill once though, the first time. Poor starling are the ones being targeted :(

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:19 pm

Rather what I saw yesterday. A hawk circling above the gardens here. Starlings were on their way in but soon scarpered once they seen the hawk. First one seen here in a while.

Placido

Post by Placido » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:15 am

:( Always a dismaying sight. Hope it was just passing through, Willpar, fingers crossed.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:27 pm

There was another attack by a sparrowhawk this morning, and another starling died :( . It clearly targets starlings. Its so depressing. :weep: