WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

All your bird talk in here
Placido

Re: WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

Post by Placido » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:09 pm

A lady chaffinch daintily taking luncheon, so that's all good :laugh: !!

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:46 pm

I'm sad to report two dead birds overnight. One was definitely the sick Greenfinch I had been seeing lately. The second, a juvenile Greenfinch with no obvious signs to explain it's demise. Quite possibly a window strike though :(
Urgent feeder cleansing is now in hand.

greenfinch2

Post by greenfinch2 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:57 pm

nae good about Greenfinches I have not seen one for a lot of months.

Placido

Post by Placido » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:32 am

:wave2: Same here. Haven't seen a greenfinch since I can't remember when :(.
Used to get lots.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:13 pm

It is becoming a running saga the like of which I have not seen before. I found another body today although this one must have predeceased the others as the maggots had been busy. :( yet another Greenfinch.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:14 pm

No further mortalities with Greenfinches but there has been a Collared Dove looking very much like it has tricho today. :(

Biker

Post by Biker » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:10 pm

Gutted for you Jacksparra. Did good to clean everything, but suspect that the problem lies beyond your garden. I've had a very poorly Magpie that has been visiting my garden for a few weeks now (wasn't poorly when first turned up). Clearly infested with all sorts of things. Have cleaned the feeders and the water bowls, but the poor bird has now been reduced to roosting by my back door. If I can catch Hoppie (yeh, the bird has a limp too - hence easily recognisable), I'll take him to the wildlife hospital. They have this spray thingy that gets rid of underwing and feather infestations. Tricky though, cos the staff have to be careful not to get the bugs on themselves as they can cause a lot of discomfort to humans!!! Sincerely hope that the situation improves and that birds see your garden as a haven for a safe visit. :nod: :drill:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:42 pm

Biker wrote:Gutted for you Jacksparra. Did good to clean everything, but suspect that the problem lies beyond your garden. I've had a very poorly Magpie that has been visiting my garden for a few weeks now (wasn't poorly when first turned up). Clearly infested with all sorts of things. Have cleaned the feeders and the water bowls, but the poor bird has now been reduced to roosting by my back door. If I can catch Hoppie (yeh, the bird has a limp too - hence easily recognisable), I'll take him to the wildlife hospital. They have this spray thingy that gets rid of underwing and feather infestations. Tricky though, cos the staff have to be careful not to get the bugs on themselves as they can cause a lot of discomfort to humans!!! Sincerely hope that the situation improves and that birds see your garden as a haven for a safe visit. :nod: :drill:
Sorry to hear about your Magpie Biker. I hope you manage to capture it before it succumbs to it's lurgy. No sign of my poorly Colly Dove today.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:32 pm

I re-hung my 8 port feeder today after the deep cleanse following the outbreak of trico. A little later I looked out to see it completely occupied by very healthy looking Greenfinches :)
A little later I did see another poorly looking one :(

Biker

Post by Biker » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:36 pm

Always gonna happen Jacksparra. Look forward to the day when there is treatment for trico other than cleaning down every time. Sincere best wishes with your battle against this disease.
Have set up a feeding station where Hoppie the Magpie roosted the last couple of nights. The bird made the most of it by visiting quite a few times this afternoon. Seemed to love the perch I built and the food bowl nearby. Still too fast to catch though. Very switched on despite poorly condition and decided not to spend the night here tonight. :(