WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

All your bird talk in here
Willpar

Re: WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

Post by Willpar » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:29 pm

Talking about flashes of white, same happened to me this morning. Was down near the garden centre, not been there in a while. Anyways the flashes of white turned out to be bullfinches.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:43 pm

Willpar wrote:Talking about flashes of white, same happened to me this morning. Was down near the garden centre, not been there in a while. Anyways the flashes of white turned out to be bullfinches.
Not in the least disappointing. Never see them in my neck of the woods :(

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:45 pm

Placido wrote:Spotted a flash of white in the largest pyrawotsit this morning. I thought it might be an unusual visitor but couldn't tell what type. Got a little excited that it might be a ptarmigan or an osprey :wow: until it obligingly flew down onto the grass.
It was a sparrow with a piece of bread in its beak :( :rolleyes:.
Never mind Placi :weep: It is always the "could have beens" that give you a little excitement. :nod:

Placido

Post by Placido » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:47 am

Of the two experiences I'd prefer the bullfinches. The fact that the plural was used fills me with envy !! Great spot, Willpar :).

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:56 pm

I've been seeing few blackbirds around the area, but they never came to my garden. Until this morning when 2 of them, Mr and Mrs blackbird came for lunch :D . Mr blackbird had few suet pellets and Mrs blackbird had a nice healthy option, an apple :D . They are so lovely :love:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:41 pm

Feral pigeons.......hoards of'em :( They seem particularly persistent today while I was persistent at frightening them off. They cross the threshold of my tolerance the moment one settles on a hanging feeder. I expect battle to resume tomorrow. :grumpy:

greenfinch2

Post by greenfinch2 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:16 pm

Same here JS sittin on the roof just waiting .

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:10 pm

Jacksparrow wrote:They cross the threshold of my tolerance the moment one settles on a hanging feeder.
^ I know exactly what you mean Jack, they are unbelievable :grumpy:
greenfinch2 wrote:Same here JS sittin on the roof just waiting .
^Same here, there is a bunch of them :grumpy:

I saw a starling with some sort of leg injury :( . First I saw it a few days ago, but I wasn't sure If I saw it properly. Than I didn't see it after that for a couple of days. And today it was there on the feeders, feeding with the bunch of others, but its was with the bunch on the ground, so I saw it properly. It hops around and its very visible that its leg hurts, it can't step on it :( . But its looks very active and in good spirits otherwise, eating fine and taking part in their squabbles :rolleyes: . I hope it gets better, its sad to see it like that :(

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:37 pm

I have had a few one-legged birds over the years and from what I've seen they generally cope fairly well. I had a one-legged Wood Pigeon that came regularly for nearly ten years.(RIP Hoppy :( )

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:14 pm

Thank you for that Jack, it makes me feel just a bit better to know that there is a hope that poor sweetheart could be ok :)
Hoppy is a good name :D hehe . RIP Hoppy.