WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

All your bird talk in here
Placido

Re: WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

Post by Placido » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:47 pm

The longed-for return of our occasional series, "Wildlife In The Outfield" :clap: :tampoline: :rara: today features a native species entertaining the non-existent crowd at midwicket:
PW, Ageas 001.JPG
The caption in the lower l-h corner says it all :rolleyes: :(

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:01 pm

Very good placi.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Aug 26, 2020 7:50 pm

Whilst I was doing the evening top up of the hanging feeders I noticed a sparrow looking very fluffed up in the tree by the feeders. As soon as I vacated the feeders it was down and trying to feed from one of them. It was struggling to do so and kept on wiping it's beak on the branch. I have seen this behaviour before but with the bird in question being a Greenfinch. I am dreading the thought that tricho has transferred to the sparrow population and hoping it is something less deadly. :(

Placido

Post by Placido » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:23 am

Oh dear, Jacksparrow, I hope not. That would be very bad news. Thing is, speugs are finches too :unsure:

Placido

Post by Placido » Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:30 am

I'm wondering, hopefully, whether the first returnees are making an appearance in my sadly quiet garden ....... a thrush yesterday in thrushes' favourite place, the birdbath.
Above all others, the thrushes seem to glory in a baffie - uninhibited joy is obvious to see as they carefully half-empty the bath with their splashes and dips and dives :laugh:. Just great to see.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:55 pm

I happened to glance at the SFH's feeder and there was a young goldfinch trying to feed. On the opposite port a Collared Dove was also feeding. Seeing it's neighbour the young goldie started fluttering it's wings as fledglings do when asking to be fed. To my astonishment the dove tried to do just that :eek: . I rushed to get my camera but unfortunately the dove had moved away. :(

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:18 pm

Wow! That's amazing Jack :wow: , and it would have been wonderful to see it, shame the dove was gone by the time you got your camera.
I've seen a tweet on Twitter, a wren coming into a bluetit nest and feeding the nestlings, helping out, even when a bluetit parent was there :faint: . I think it was reported on one of the BBC channels, being so unusual. So weird to see :eek:

Placido

Post by Placido » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:39 am

Fancy that :eek:. Hadn't linked collared doves with Maternalism but Live 'N' Learn :yes:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:27 pm

I had a visit from a Great Tit today. This is the first for a couple of months ago during the nesting season. It looked resplendent in a brand new plumage.

Placido

Post by Placido » Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:05 am

SNAP - so did I !! I saw it twice, both times on the birdbath having drinkies. Been a long time.
All of them are gradually returning. :D