WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

All your bird talk in here
nuthatch

Re: WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

Post by nuthatch » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:59 am

:( Dreadful to see that, Squirrel - can only be thankful it wasn't more ....

Cycling home from work (in a different part of the country) many years ago near the duck pond there were two ducks just crossing the narrow country road and the driver in front of me, which was the only other car around, actually accelerated to ram right into them - I could not believe it - what would you get out of doing that :(

I was in a right panic and cycled back to where I worked - they, of course, advised that there was nothing to be done and the ducks would probably just turn up their toes :(

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:38 am

A great spotted woodpecker was in the garden again yesterday afternoon - apparently it was on the niger feeder and soon saw off another bird that tried to feed there too :)

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:20 pm

nuthatch wrote:A great spotted woodpecker was in the garden again yesterday afternoon - apparently it was on the niger feeder and soon saw off another bird that tried to feed there too :)
That's a first for me nuthatch. I didn't think they'd waste their time on tiny seeds like that.

Placido

Post by Placido » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:10 pm

Pecking order,. I s'pose. Great spot, Nuthatch :yes:

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:33 am

:)

:laugh: I got it wrong - "It was on the one with the yellow top" - that's the sunflower hearts one :rolleyes:

The niger seed one has a (now very pale) pink top :cry3:

peregrine

Post by peregrine » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:01 pm

Four Collared Doves all trying to get onto the bird table today - without success.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:42 pm

I have, until a couple of days ago, been enjoying(if that's the right word :unsure: ) an influx of Collared Doves feasting on my SF hearts. Now, a couple visiting is OK as it gives the smaller birds a chance to dine between the CD visits but 4 or 5 tend to dominate. A couple of days ago I took the decision, albeit reluctantly, to limit access to the SF feeder to the small birds by fitting a guardian. I have done this once before and within a couple of days most of the little birds were happily coming and going as though nothing was different but this time I have gone from half a kilo per day consumption to virtually nothing. It is quiet in the garden at present with the exception of the Sparrows so perhaps that explains the lack of takers for the hearts.

peregrine

Post by peregrine » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:46 am

Solitary House Sparrow doesn't care how many Collared Dives are on the bird table. She just comes in and feeds away without a care in the world.

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:32 pm

Back late afternoon on "the one with the yellow top" :laugh:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:28 pm

Nice one Nuthatch. :photo: :yes: