WOOD PIGEONS

All your bird talk in here
Placido

Re: WOOD PIGEONS

Post by Placido » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:55 pm

No woodies and the collies don't seem to go for rowan berries. The blackbirds are having a party.

squirrel

Post by squirrel » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:05 pm

Yesterday heralded another visit to Lower Moss Wood, my local animal sanctuary.

I opened my kitchen blinds to find a Wood Pigeon crouched at the edge of the garden. It didn't move when I opened the blinds, and only tried to fly off when I opened the door to take the food out. I then noticed a massive pile of feathers in the middle of the lawn, and realised it was injured. It flew to the bottom of my garden and appeared to crash, so I went after it. I rounded the corner of my shrub island to find it crashed in my pond! I had to rescue it out of the pond. It was just floating in there looking complacent. I had to hold it close as it was struggling a lot. My sweat top got all muddy.

As I calmed it and took it inside, I noticed it's terrible injuries. I just held it close for a while to warm it up as it must have been so cold as it was a frosty morning and it had been in the pond with hardly any feathers on! Something had plucked all the feathers out of its lower back and rump. Poor little Woodie. I took it to Lower Moss Wood (my second visit in 3 weeks). I thought the Sp'rawk had had a go at it, but the lady at LMM said she thought it more likely a cat attack, as she said the Sp'rawk would generally go for the neck area and upper back. She said they would give it some antibiotics, food and drink and some general TLC. She said to phone in 2 week s to see how it was going on. She was not that optimistic about it's chances of survival. :(

I have some pictures of it. These were taken in my living room.

squirrel

Post by squirrel » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:13 pm

I just hope it is not this little woodie which I photographed on 21/9/15 in my garden. It looks quite young as it's white collar isn't quite complete, although that might look like that due to it's attack!

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:35 am

The Feral pigeon was very lucky Squirrel. Well done for rescuing it. Nice young woodie there.

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:53 pm

Looks nasty - certainly makes you think when you see the injuries close up :cat2:

Placido

Post by Placido » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:47 pm

Is it a feral ?? I thought it was a young woodie :unsure:

squirrel

Post by squirrel » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:28 pm

Hi!

Yes it is a young looking Woodie. I had thought it was a Feral when I first saw it crouched in the garden. I thought it was one of those Dove / Feral cross breeds. It was only when I rescued it from the pond that I realised it was a Woodie. I just hope it wasn't that juvenille I photographed in September grown up a bit!

Poor little thing. At least it is in a safe place now and being cared for.

squirrel

Post by squirrel » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:23 pm

Just on update for you all. The Wood Pigeon photographed on my previous post has made it!!! It is now in the outdoor aviary preparing for release back to the wild. It is not ready yet as it's feathers have to restore and the sanctuary has to ensure the weather is suitable and it has passed a flight test first.
All is looking well for a full recovery for it.

I pictured a young pigeon which I was hoping was not the injured on (photo of the young one being from September). I have seen that one in the garden recently so it wasn't the young one which got injured.

Very happy generally about my Woodie's progress!!

Placido

Post by Placido » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:39 pm

:clap: Well done, Squirrel !! :yes:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:03 pm

A happy outcome for your Woodie Squirrel. Well done. :clap: