WOOD PIGEONS

All your bird talk in here
Placido

Re: WOOD PIGEONS

Post by Placido » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:49 am

Jumped out and put a brick beneath the front tyre to bring the VWs to a stop. The woodies appeared to be quite interested.
P.S.: The other 2 wheels are there, I just don't use them very much.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:33 pm

Placido wrote:Jumped out and put a brick beneath the front tyre to bring the VWs to a stop. The woodies appeared to be quite interested.
P.S.: The other 2 wheels are there, I just don't use them very much.
:D :yes:

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:48 pm

I try and discourage pigeons coming to my garden, not so much because I don't like them, but because of my neighbours, people tend to dislike them as they are messy. Anyway, there are a couple of woodies that I grew to really like :) . They are gentle, and clumsy funny :D
Few mornings ago, in one big tree nearby, I heard this magpie followed by commotion. I looked and saw what looked like a pigeon and magpie flapping their wings in between the branches, followed by magpie landing on nearby roof with something (couldn't make out what) and 2 more magpies flying around.
Today again I heard the magpie in the same tree, 3 of them flying out of it with one of them landing on nearby roof again with something. Later on I saw a woodie sitting inside that big tree on one branch.
I suspect now that the woodies have a nest inside that tree and magpies are harassing them and/or taking their nestlings :cry3:
I can't be sure, and hope I'm wrong! Its very upsetting :weep:
I'm starting to seriously dislike magpies :grumpy:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:11 pm

The last couple of days I have been visited by a sick looking Woody. It is looking fluffed up and it's feather condition is well below usual standard. It seems to be struggling to swallow the food it is getting from under the feeders. My guess is that it has Trichomonosis which has seriously depleted the Greenfinch flocks across the country. A neighbour of mine has a cat which is always on the lookout for an unwary bird and the dozy looking Woody may well be it's next victim. :(

Placido

Post by Placido » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:16 am

Sorry to hear that, Jacksparrow, very sad.
Nasty disease and it's still around as, as you say, the paucity of greenfinches particularly is testament to that.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:48 pm

No sightings of my sick Woody today. I fear the worst. :(

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:21 pm

Poor Woody :(

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:13 pm

I mentioned few days ago that I saw a young woodie with a growth on its beak in my garden. Its still coming to eat every day (I keep disinfecting all areas every day) and I've been trying to take a picture of it and finally succeeded today :

Its not looking good :( . It behaves fine though, eats and flies normally, and its not fluffed up.
Does anyone know what this illness is? Is it avian pox?

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:06 pm

Just looked at a load of pictures of birds with the virus, and it sure looks like it to me butterfly. I don't know if it is reportable or how contagious it is.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:55 pm

Yeah that's what I thought but can't be sure :confused: . And I don't know if and how contagious it is, but I haven't seen any other bird with any health problem, and he's been hanging around for more than a week. Who would you report it to anyway? :unsure: