NESTING BOXES

All your bird talk in here
greg

Re: NESTING BOXES

Post by greg » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:21 pm

Thanks! I should have added that the window is glazed :D I don't want them to suffer from draughty acomodation :nod:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:52 pm

greg wrote:Thanks! I should have added that the window is glazed :D I don't want them to suffer from draughty acomodation :nod:
I hope that's double glazed. :P

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:24 am

Easy View Bird Box:

http://www.betterware.co.uk/easy-view-bird-box.html

Unfortunately can't think of a suitable window to put one on :scratch:

Placido

Post by Placido » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:42 pm

Now there's a thing !!! :eek: Wonder whether (probably) bluetits would fall for that ?? It would be brilliant.
For two pins ....... :nod:

Edit: Gumtree has one for £10 :)

greenfinch2

Post by greenfinch2 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:02 pm

OO i fancy one of them ,if it was used I would never get any work done.

greg

Post by greg » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:41 pm

That's a great box! I won't be getting one though! Our window feeder gets removed by the window cleaner when he does the windows, so I wouldn't risk it. :wow:

Placido

Post by Placido » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:27 pm

This interested me to the extent that I've done a little bit of research on it :shrug: . Lots of places sell it but there's only one model. I wondered what it was made of and it seems its a tough kind of plastic - do blueys/greats go for plastic ??
Also, I don't trust suction pads at all at all but I wondered whether inch-wide Velcro attached to both the rear of the box and the window pane would do the trick. Can't bear the thought of it falling off whilst chockablock with yelling baby blueys :eek:
Can only find one unclear reference to a, I think, "plate" thingy which is put onto the back of the box (from inside the house) in the evening. Seems that maybe when the room light is on the birds would see movement.
I'd have to put a notice in the window telling the window cleaner not to clean the window for 3 months :shrug:
There's one (Amazon if I remember correctly) which is priced at £18.99 but - it's a BOGOF !!!! :clap: - you get two !!!!!!!!!! :rara: . Life just gets better 'n' better .......

greg

Post by greg » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:01 am

Agree ! I don't like the idea of suction pads in this application. Although, in general, if the pads stay on for a day, they'll stay on forever! But that doesn't allow for extreme gusts of wind, large birds, Squirrels or Cats landing on them.
Best not to use them :feedbirds:

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:46 am

I'd go for it, Placi if you get BOGOF.

I think the easy placing of it is one of the attractions and many people could place it exactly where cats can't reach and squirrels don't go, especially an upstairs room or landing window or room on ground level which is not used to the extent that you would go in there and put a light on for something.

If a room was quietly occupied you may just require a lamp away from the window and have thick curtains or
blinds.

If you have such a window without the sun beating down on it for most of the day it would be exciting to try one.

greenfinch2

Post by greenfinch2 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:10 pm

I think I have changed my mine BOGOF they surely d :ont sell well most of my windows face south.