BIRD FEEDING

All your bird talk in here
Jacksparrow

Re: BIRD FEEDING

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:18 pm

johnd83 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:26 pm
This year I have a couple. Of bird feeding stations in the. Back garden with a mix of seed and suet.

This year I have also replaced my back garden nest box with one with a wifi camera in. Hopefully if we get visitors again ke we had the nesting blue tits I can share the video across my social media platforms.
Good luck with your nestbox camera. I expect Springwatch will appreciate the extra footage. :nod:

johnd83

Post by johnd83 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:29 pm

LOL is doubt my footage will b up to par. Just want to see if I can capture some foootage this year.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:52 pm

The wind today turned out to be a destructive one for me. My 8-port feeder which I've had for at least 10 years broke free from it's supporting cable tie and smashed itself on the ground beneath :weep: . I managed to salvage most of the contents but the feeder is a write-off. I have not decided whether to replace it like for like as it was feral pigeon friendly as it would easily hold two or three at the same time. :(

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:12 pm

That's a shame JS. Must admit I don't use them.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon May 27, 2024 7:48 pm

All the feeders busy at the moment. The seed feeders are in constant use by sparrows, starlings and jackdaws. The fat ball feeder has the full attention of the jackdaws.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Mon May 27, 2024 8:39 pm

Was on the quiet side here today for whatever reason. Maybe the sprawk paid a visit.

Bird

Post by Bird » Fri Jun 14, 2024 11:23 pm

I spend a small fortune on mixed seed and sunflower hearts, but we have 17 different bird species coming in every day, so it's well worth it.
This year we have a new one, a lovely rook! He's been coming for a few weeks now, occasionally at first, but now every day. He's starting to get used to me and doesn't fly off when I go out now. I've bought him some peanuts, he'll love them I hope. I saw him with his babies today, they must have just fledged.
I'll be living in a tent this time next year, and probably living on bird food.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:53 pm

At this time of year there is a lot of pressure on garden feeders and we all want to help the youngsters get a good start in life. We must remember we only want to supplement their food and not be the sole source. There is normally plenty of natural food to be had at this time of year so they should all be encouraged to look for it. After years of trying to match supply with demand and withstanding the cost I have decided to feed once a day. Most days it lasts and occasionally it doesn't . The only thing I try to keep on top of is fresh water which is in high demand for bathing and drinking.

Bird

Post by Bird » Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:07 pm

Agreed! My feeders get topped up in the morning, and the dishes of seed are empty in an hour. I like to give them a treat sometimes, and in return, they often drop walnuts into my garden that they can't open, so I get free nuts. :D

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:26 pm

Bird wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2024 11:07 pm
Agreed! My feeders get topped up in the morning, and the dishes of seed are empty in an hour. I like to give them a treat sometimes, and in return, they often drop walnuts into my garden that they can't open, so I get free nuts. :D
I get walnut drops but I am still waiting to get an edible one. :( Mostly they are dropped on my roof and turn up when I get a gutter clean. :)