WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

All your bird talk in here
greenfinch2

Re: WHAT I SAW TODAY.....

Post by greenfinch2 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:49 pm

First. thing busy feeders, then a worthless visit from the sparrowhawk the rest of the day was quiet .

Placido

Post by Placido » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:00 am

It's odd with sprawk visits: sometimes the birds return after maybe an hour and at other times they stay away all day.

greenfinch2

Post by greenfinch2 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:52 pm

Back to normal today plenty Greenfinch and Goldfinch and Sparrows

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:58 pm

I came down stairs to have breakfast and the first sight that greeted me was a Grey Heron( :wow: ) staring intently into one of the ponds. One of my ponds which is chock full of frogs at present :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :eek: :eek: :eek: . We had just had a cool night so most of the frogs(if not all) we down in the depths and not visible. This is probably what saved some lives. The Heron was given it's marching orders and normal service was resumed,for the time being at least. :nod:

Placido

Post by Placido » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:21 am

:wow: indeed, Jacksparrow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wonder whether this was merely a passing hungry heron or a new resident nearby. Time will tell .......
Maybe leave a Frogs' Survival Manual on the edge of the lake, just in case ??

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:10 pm

The Heron returned at dusk tonight. It was quickly spotted by Mrs JS who told it to go elsewhere :prod:
I suspect it has had an undetected successful visit and hence it is persistent :(

Placido

Post by Placido » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:35 am

Hmmmmm, not saying one single word about Madame La Chatelaine but it's a moot point whether a heron's visit is worth a thousand frogs. Or possibly not ....... or probably not ....... or maybe not at all ....... :shrug:
It's certainly a talking point down at The Sturk and Tadpole.

peregrine

Post by peregrine » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:56 pm

LTTs are back. Not every day but several times a week.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:03 pm

I had to replant my Pyracantha today, and after I dug it out, I went to get a tool. I just moved away and saw 2 robins, my lovely resident couple :love: , all over the dug up soil looking for worms :D . I stayed away giving them some time to finish their lunch :nod: . I did that few times, going away from the garden for a little while, and saw other birds, including blackbird, having a nice fat juicy worm for lunch :D . Birds love gardening :laugh:

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:53 pm

I got stuck in traffic today, on a residential road, and while waiting patiently, I spoted 2 blue tits flying about near the house on my left. So I looked and saw them inspecting one old style vent on the wall of the house, for a nest I assume :eek: . One was inside and you could see its little face only. I couldn't believe it, it didn't look like a good site for nest to me at all :eek: , but I'm not a bird so I guess I don't qualify to judge :shrug:

Hows your heron doing Jack? Still around harassing your frogs? :unsure: