Government sanctions culls.

For everything nature based that doesn't fit anywhere else!
Willpar

Government sanctions culls.

Post by Willpar » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:50 am

This will make your blood boil. Wildlife protection my ***.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/n ... spartandhp

The link is broken so you will not see it. But can go to Microsoft news page www.msn.com will find it there.

Butterfly

Re: Government sanctions culls.

Post by Butterfly » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:21 am

OMG! I can't believe I'm reading this :weep: . This is just pure savageness and nothing to do with the reality of the (un)existing problems. This needs to stop!!! :weep:

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:39 am

There is a petition going on to try and stop this:

https://www.change.org/p/natural-englan ... in-england

Signed :)

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:07 pm

Signed, thanks for the link butterfly. :yes:

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:11 pm

Willpar wrote:Signed, thanks for the link butterfly. :yes:
Great! :yes:

We should all do it. I'll post that link everywhere I can :)

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:50 pm

Has anyone looked to see if the RSPB have a view. On the first reading it is indeed a very bad situation when birds are needlessly culled but I have a feeling there is more to the story than that presented.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:19 pm

Been to the RSPB website and there is nothing there as yet. But on the petitions page there is some information. In the case of the ravens it is more about new born lambs. But as was pointed out there are only 8,000 pairs in the whole UK. Seems with other birds some is about aircraft safety. With the starlings they eat silage and poop over it in the barns when they get spooked. So that is about cattles health. As you know starlings do that with raptors. Once on their feathers is hard to get off. But most of it is rather hazy to say the least.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:21 pm

Jacksparrow wrote:Has anyone looked to see if the RSPB have a view. On the first reading it is indeed a very bad situation when birds are needlessly culled but I have a feeling there is more to the story than that presented.
The only response from RSPB I found was this one:
https://community.rspb.org.uk/ourwork/b ... in-england
It doesn't cover all the birds, but just ravens. They expressed concerns regarding that. That was in June :shrug:
In any case, I can't accept any justification for allowing wrens and robins (and alike) to be killed!

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:36 pm

I think what is getting up peoples back is the clandestine way it is being done. It took a freedom of information request for the facts to become public. Also the fact that many of the birds in question are on the endangered list. Also the fact that they are protected by law, which took an act of parliaments. But the lawmakers can intervene in certain circumstances. Mostly always under public health, which I would say is hard to contest. It only takes a request to the secretary of state to ok the license. Perhaps there should be a court where some judges can hear the arguments and then rule. Transparency is what is needed. For people to fully understand.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:31 pm

I found this response from Natural England:
https://naturalengland.blog.gov.uk/2018 ... ild-birds/

Its infuriating to read the list of birds that they gave green light to be killed, including robin, wren, black bird and great tit with the reason: "Preserving public health or safety"
Disgusting!