Government sanctions culls.

For everything nature based that doesn't fit anywhere else!
Willpar

Re: Government sanctions culls.

Post by Willpar » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:39 am

More news on the culls, with a full list of birds and numbers.

http://jasonendfield.weebly.com/home/wo ... death-list

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:25 pm

On face value it is a shocking state of affairs with endangered species being culled. The use of Health and Safety as a reason could hide a myriad of problems and unless you know the complete story it is difficult to imagine why the ultimate sanction was the best course available. :(

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:10 pm

It certainly is a sad state of affairs Jacksparrow. And reading comments that were in the link, the rspb seem to be very silent. But the one that caught my eye was the cormorants. Heck that is a lot of birds being culled. But from what I gather the angling club of great Britain or something like that are very big and organized. Carry a lot of clout and good at lobbying. In their case I think it is more about private ponds/ lakes. These places are generally man made and stocked with fish. which anglers pay a pretty penny to fish. Cormorants have cottoned on to an easy meal. I don't think the stock fish come cheap to replenish. So it is money versus the birds. But if something like that is created, then fish eating birds will take advantage. Is not the birds fault, they have been invited in by default.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:45 pm

I can certainly appreciate how the Cormorants could be viewed as being a nuisance. I live a long way from the coast but they are a common sight on my local river which is very popular with anglers. I think inland folk see them as interlopers and see no benefit from encouraging them.
The RSPB are obviously picking their battles carefully. As a charity they are dependent, mostly, on the good will of the general public to survive and perhaps picking a fight with millions of fishermen is not very politic. :shrug:

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:34 pm

I get your points guys, but I still strongly oppose culls. We are losing animals, insects and plants worldwide, and instead of looking into ways to make efforts to find better ways to coexist we, humans, think the best way is just to go out and kill what is perceived as a nuisance. I read somewhere that we lost about 50% of animals worldwide. That's tragic :(

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:14 pm

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:08 pm

They say: “The number of birds that may be killed is strictly limited and won’t harm the conservation status of any species.”
That really annoys me! What do you mean it won't harm conservation status???? Many of killed species are red listed, with their numbers in steep decline, how can you say killing few more thousand won't affect them????
Appalling!!!

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:56 pm

I agree it is by far a bad situation which needs to be monitored and not left to Nature England to mark their own homework.The situation in the UK has come about because we are a small bunch of islands with a large population. The space required for the population is ever growing and that leaves less and less for wildlife. While we are happy to share some space such as our gardens spaces for our infrastructure, motorways,railways etc, will inevitably encroach on the wild habitat where co-habitation can be risky for both wildlife and humans. If there is a simple solution I will be pleased to hear it but at present I am struggling between being outraged and agreeing that in some cases action is probably necessary. :(

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:30 pm

Found this website through a story I read. It is about the hunt investigation team. They do covert operations to expose wildlife cruelty. This is their blog.

https://huntinvestigationteam.org/2017/ ... blog-post/

Can navigate through the blog links. Warning, contains material that could cause distress. They have a you tube account as well. Will check it out.

Here is their you tube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ation+team