Slimbridge Wetland Centre

For everything nature based that doesn't fit anywhere else!
Kev
Site Admin

Slimbridge Wetland Centre

Post by Kev » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:34 pm

I went to Slimbridge yesterday for a nice day out.
http://www.wwt.org.uk/wetland-centres/slimbridge/
https://goo.gl/maps/lGpja

Really nicely laid out place. It was £14 to get in but they had ramps and tarmac paths in most places for buggies and wheelchairs and you could hire those motorised scooters.

Thousands of ducks and swans but they had various other stuff too. They're all so comfortable with people being there you're almost stepping over ducks on the paths. They had otters too but they were behind glass and hard to photograph. Flamingos look nice from a distance but up close they're damn ugly and stink to high heaven!

They have excellent hides looking out over the fields and wetlands but the nature is quite a long way away from you. I had two sessions in the kingfisher hide but no sign of them. I think I'll have to go back again next year when they're feeding their young.

More pics here

nuthatch

Re: Slimbridge Wetland Centre

Post by nuthatch » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:29 pm

:clap: Aww ...

I like the bubbles in the splashy last (and 13th) one :duck: and the one where they put their head back and can look a bit like a rabbit (19th pic) :) :rabbit:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:03 pm

I am very fond of Slimbridge and over the years I have been many times. My Grandson also loves it and would spend all day in Wellyboot Land if you let him. Most of the hides look out over where the migrating winter ducks and geese spend the winter. You do need a decent scope or a good pair of binos to get the best sightings if you go then.
Excellent :photo: of the BB Chaser and the Heron :yes:

Placido

Post by Placido » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:49 pm

Loved the heron shots, Kev :yes:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:26 am

Lovely pics again Kev.