FROGS

Fish, aquatic plants, amphibians, fountains and everything else pond related.
Placido

Re: FROGS

Post by Placido » Mon May 16, 2016 8:34 pm

Great pix of the generations, Jacksparrow :yes:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:30 pm

Tadpole update. In the wildlife pond they are getting difficult to see. They tend to get shyer as the get older so I may not see them again until after they are ready to leave the pond. Pond 2(one time fish pond) is still very much alive with wriggling youngsters and are consuming enormous amounts of fish pellets which I feed them twice per day :eek:
It is lovely so many have survived thus far but I'm thinking ahead and about the last time I had this many. I was finding them everywhere in the garden and had to mow the lawn slowly to give them chance to hop out of the way. I foresee a feast for the birds come August/September.

Placido

Post by Placido » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:44 pm

Just love a story of Mother Nature's abundance :D. Congratz on a bumper yield, Jacksparrow :yes:

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:48 am

:wow: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :frog: :clap:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:33 pm

Less good news of the Frog front. For some reason the thundery deluges we've been enjoying recently encourage my frogs to jump out of their pond and go hopabout. On Monday evening after feeding the Hog it's mealworms I returned to the garage just in time to stop one going in there. Once they are in it is a hopeless job getting them out. Yesterday I wasn't so lucky(nor was the Frog) and one got in unnoticed. I found it dead this morning after it had tried to limbo under the garage door and failed. :frog: :sadbanana:

Placido

Post by Placido » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:51 pm

I have to ask ........ what is the attraction which causes such a suicidal urge in your frogs towards the garage ??
Aaaahhh, I know - there's a beautiful princess in there whose job it is to kiss them all and turn them back into handsome princes, right ?? :nod:
This of course leads to many, many other questions upon which I do not care to dwell.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:31 pm

More Froglets are appearing. I did a little light weeding on the rockery today which sent several of them scurrying off to hide elsewhere. Strangely I have seen no Tadpoles with four legs but only two leggers and fully transformed. :shrug:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:46 pm

I was out having a hack at the undergrowth today and disturbed several juvenile Frogs. They were all from this years spawn and are growing nicely. I also spoke to my neighbour who congratulated me on "a good crop of Frogs this year" saying he had seen dozens in his garden.
All in all I think it is safe to chalk 2016 as the best year for some time for Froglet survival. Ironically this was on the back of one of the smallest batches of spawn I've had in a while. :shrug:

Placido

Post by Placido » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:50 pm

Very pleased to hear that, Jacksparrow :clap:, and equally pleased that you have such a nice neighbour :yes:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:57 pm

Placido wrote:Very pleased to hear that, Jacksparrow :clap:, and equally pleased that you have such a nice neighbour :yes:
He like to keep his garden a little tidier than mine but does feed the birds a little. He benefits from my overflow be it wild life or weeds. :)