Planting a hornbeam tree

Tips, tricks, problems and solutions for the gardeners out there
Butterfly

Planting a hornbeam tree

Post by Butterfly » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:23 pm

I went to my local garden centre to buy some flowers for my hanging baskets, and instead I bought a tree :eek:
It was on sale and looked unloved, but its a lovely looking young tree :) , the common hornbeam. Apparently, it was from last year's stock and because it was not sold, they put it up on sale, alongside few other plants. I thought it deserves a chance to have a life and be planted and flourish :D
I brought it home and after so much digging (phew) I planted it near my garden fence. I've never planted a tree before but I think I did everything right, apart from maybe one thing ... not sure if its too close to the fence (panels). Anyone have any advice on that? It looks fine now but I'm thinking in the future, when it grows .... its about 15" from the fence :scratch:

Jacksparrow

Re: Planting a hornbeam tree

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:41 pm

I am not familiar with how a sapling Hornbeam looks but I wont let that little fact prevent me from offering an opinion. When you plant any young tree you have to look into the crystal ball to see what it will look like in, say, 10 years time. If it is a tree with a tall trunk before the branches you will probably be OK for a while but the roots may distort the fence later on. Will the more mature tree overlook your neighbours property? When the leaves drop is it going to cause friction as they have a habit of blocking drains and spoiling lawns?
Full marks for adopting a poor overlooked sapling but your unloved orphan will turn into a monster over time and will need ongoing attention :nod:

Butterfly

Re: Planting a hornbeam tree

Post by Butterfly » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:56 am

Thanks for your input Jack :yes: . I've been told that it can be used for hedging so that's why I thought the trunk of the tree, or the roots, wont be that large to disturb the fence :shrug: . Its also happy to have branches clipped and shaped, as you would do with any hedge. I think I'll move it a bit more away from the fence though , just to have more room.
Its funny how birds were looking at it puzzled, because it wasn't there before :scratch: , but now they started landing on it :D