MULBERRY TREE

Tips, tricks, problems and solutions for the gardeners out there
Placido

MULBERRY TREE

Post by Placido » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:53 pm

So then, this mulberry tree wot has been visited upon me ....... at the beginning of June all the catkins fell off in the course of about a week. The grass was covered in them - a pale yellow halo all around the tree. Should have taken a :photo:, never thought.
Anyway, it saw fit to position itself right up against the side wall, which belongs to my neighbour ( :( ), and therefore overhangs her sterile, flagstoned "garden". I learned that said catkins were blocking her drain so Eric pruned the offending overhanging branches (badly). End of.

Not wishing to repeat the offence :eek: next June, I waited until the season was right and have contacted a real tree person to move it for me.
So - "Paul" is coming to have a butcher's on Thursday morning :) . He is tickled pink at the thought of a mulberry and was quite chatty on the 'phone. It seems that the correct procedure is to dig right around the roots and prune them to manageable proportions. Leave it in its hole for a week to allow the beginnings of fibrous roots where the cuts were, and dig the new hole and line it with leafmould. Then return a week later and plant it in its new home.
Then you cross your fingers .......

Updates on demand.

nuthatch

Re: MULBERRY TREE

Post by nuthatch » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:08 pm

Oh "Paul" sounds like a gem, Placi :yes: :goodvibes: :tree: :raindance:

greenfinch2

Post by greenfinch2 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:24 pm

Neighbours eh, Did you dance round your :tree: :tree: :rara: :love: :santa:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:44 pm

What a palaver to shift a tree but I suppose it's better than upsetting the neighbours. Mulberry catkins in the drainhole AND TMS on the loudspeakers. The neighbour from hell :eek:

Placido

Post by Placido » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:03 pm

Jacksparrow wrote:What a palaver to shift a tree but I suppose it's better than upsetting the neighbours. Mulberry catkins in the drainhole AND TMS on the loudspeakers. The neighbour from hell :eek:
Who, moi ?!?! :wife: :devil:

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:26 am

:laugh:

Placido

Post by Placido » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:55 pm

Paul turns up yesterday, bright 'n' breezy. Prunes the willow, collects all the branches and brushes the lawn ('onest :) ). Clips all the roots, waters and feeds it.
Digs the new hole, over >>>>> there, replaces the feeding pole and ground guard and puts back the turf on the top - he's ever so neat 'n' tidy.
Coming on Monday to perform the actual planting.
Didn't even have a cuppa coffee.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:44 pm

Placido wrote:Paul turns up yesterday, bright 'n' breezy. Prunes the willow, collects all the branches and brushes the lawn ('onest :) ). Clips all the roots, waters and feeds it.
Digs the new hole, over >>>>> there, replaces the feeding pole and ground guard and puts back the turf on the top - he's ever so neat 'n' tidy.
Coming on Monday to perform the actual planting.
Didn't even have a cuppa coffee.
Eh? a visiting workman not wanting (I'm assuming it was offered :rolleyes: ) coffee? During recent repairs to the Chateau roof the persons involved would have drunk my coffee all day given the opportunity.

Placido

Post by Placido » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:13 pm

Of course it wasn't offered !! But he could have begged.

OK then, the Cap'n has failed - does anyone else spot the deliberate mistake ??

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:02 am

It was the mulberry tree being moved not the willow.

All good work there - maybe Paul would have preferred tea .....