Lawn advice.

Tips, tricks, problems and solutions for the gardeners out there
johnd83

Lawn advice.

Post by johnd83 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:11 am

Good morning all,

I am looking for some advice regarding ny rear garden's lawn. In some areas there is no grass at all and in others it is very patchy indeed. Woulld grass seed work and if so at what time of year is best to plant it. Or is it a job of being re-turfed? The past owners didn't care for the garden and it looks UN-loved.

Placido

Re: Lawn advice.

Post by Placido » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:22 pm

Johnd: October is getting a little bit late to reseed a lawn, especially if the ground needs a lot of TLC preparation beforehand. However, it's a great time of year to put down turf (the ground preparation is still important though) - because:

1) the turf will grow more slowly and therefore more thoroughly embed than, for instance, during a summer drought and heatwave.
2) because of the usual climatic conditions prevailing in autumn it doesn't need the usual watering and lengthy "keep off !!!!!" period required in summer.
3) as turf is a bit fragile until it's growing robustly there is less risk of a devastating frost in October than in the later months.

Grass seed will be patchy at best at this time of year because of hungry birds/cold conditions.

Downside of turf is the expense over the cheapness of grass seed.

Whichever you choose, make sure you get the correct grass variety for a normal back garden family lawn. Differing varieties - ie. coarse, bowling green, roadside - are important. You need hard-wearing but attractive.

Bit of research required for a good domestic lawn. Expensive mistake if the variety is wrong.

johnd83

Post by johnd83 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:03 pm

Great reply and a big thank you.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:33 pm

I noticed today that my lawn has started to grow again despite the rather wintry weather at present. I was rather hoping the mower could remain housed for another 6 weeks or so. :(

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:09 pm

Yes, leave it there, Jacksparrow - nice to have a bit of long grass :nod: :yes:

Placido

Post by Placido » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:11 am

Now there's a funny thing :eek: !!!!! Yestertoady I too noticed that the lawn is becoming a little more shaggy than heretofore. Not just me then .....