FOXES

All the other creepy crawlies and animals that interact with your garden and the countryside
nuthatch

Re: FOXES

Post by nuthatch » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:07 pm

OH found an egg between the forsythia and the gate in the bird garden - he put it down where I put the egg for the fox but not in a dish.

I thought he'd taken the one from the tomato plants and put it there but he says he didn't - there isn't one in the tomato plants now.

Is someone having a laugh here - I don't think so but ..... :fox:

Placido

Post by Placido » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:47 pm

I thought it was YOU who was having a laugh, Nuthatch !! I can't keep track of all these eggs.
Have you got a broody chicken ?!?!?

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:55 am

Nor me, Placi :laugh:

No sooner had I clocked the hedgie in the back garden last night than a fox streaked past towards the garden with the apple tree and tomato plants - hope it wasn't going round in circles looking for its whole egg, which was ... er ... wrapped up the the fridge :cold2: :laugh: :fox:

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:39 am

There was a potato (not cooked) under the black sunflower seed feeder this morning - foxy might have lifted it :laugh: I left it there. :fox:

Placido

Post by Placido » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:42 pm

This should be in the Joke topic shurely ??
Mind you, I gotta grrrrrrrreat recipe for a Spanish omelette ........

squirrel

Post by squirrel » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:42 pm

In my friend's garden the other day a gorgeous baby fox came in about 16.00 hrs. It sat under the bird feeders for a few minutes and then left again. It was really young as it had a very thin tail and a baby face and was still quite fluffy. My friend said an adult fox caught a squirrel and ate it in the garden that week too! The foxes seem to come all times of the day and night to that garden.

In my garden I have a terrible problem. I feed my lovely fox still (and she comes, I can smell her), but the cat population knows I feed the fox and comes every evening stealing the fox food. I started with cooked chicken and because of the cats I changed to raw chicken so the cats would be put off. The cats now love raw chicken and actively sniff it out!! They eat it down the the bones. I put out frozen chicken and that doesn't deter the cats either!!!!! One evening last week, I hadn't put the fox food out yet, and 4 cats came by whilst I worked in the kitchen and all looked in the place where I feed the fox. I need something I can put out for the fox which the cats will not eat, but what? I know jam doughnuts or jam sandwiches will work, but they are not very nutritious. Has anyone any good ideas of any food that cats are not so keen on and foxes will love or at least eat? - preferably some nutritional value would be good and not too expensive? Also I know a large bone would be good, but storing them would be totally impractical. This weekend and Monday I am on Superlates (17.30 hrs - 02.07 hrs) so I have to put the food out at 17.00 hrs - frozen of course - but I am having to put out double rations as I know the cats will probably eat most of it, if not all of it!! I am so sick of the cats. I want to rig a device which would tip a bucket of water on a cat but not on a fox, as it takes the food!!!!

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:19 pm

I'll start by stating that I have never fed a fox in my garden. You have a dilemma there squirell and unfortunately there is no solution which is going to please all parties that I can see. If the cats are going to scoff the chicken most nights there is little point in putting it out. It will mean your fox gets nothing either but the scenario you present suggests that is the case most of the time anyway. When you are at home you can monitor who has the chicken and perhaps dissuade the cats from visiting but when your shifts make it impossible if you want to deny the cats there is no other option than not putting it out. Your fox will not be depending on your chicken and will be getting food elsewhere so with this in mind it may be worth suspending putting the food out unless you actually see her in the garden. If she doesn't show up or you'll not be home to keep an eye on things keep the chicken in the house. :(

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:43 pm

Cats here squirrel are a total menace so know how you feel. At least with my hedgehogs I have cat proof feeders and put the food in them. I do put out dried fruit and bashed up peanuts in the bird tray.
Only thing I can think of for your fox is a dried meat like jerky. I had a quick look around the net but some of it is not all that cheap. My thinking was a jerky type meat would be much to hard for a cat to eat but a fox could probably manage it, though may take a bit of time to eat. Dried dog food the complete stuff a cat would probably not eat as also to hard, but it will get wet and go soggy in the rain. Not an easy question to answer for you.

squirrel

Post by squirrel » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:50 pm

Thank you for your considered answers. Dried dog food might be an option. I will look into that. I am working with a girl this evening with lots of dogs. I will ask her whether she thinks cats would eat her dried dog food. Cats generally are very fussy things. I think they would turn their noses up at wet dried dog food really!! - we'll see :D

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:09 pm

Hi Squirrel, having had another look round I have discovered a food made for badgers and foxes this is of the dried type. It is called Wild Things badger and fox food. Reasonable price, £12 for 6kg. Plus delivery unless there are some that offer free delivery.