FOXES

All the other creepy crawlies and animals that interact with your garden and the countryside
Placido

Re: FOXES

Post by Placido » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:48 pm

Just a thought - does dried dog food not require lots of water to be constantly available ??

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:03 am

That's right placi, No doubt squirrel has water out in the garden. Trying to thwart cats is no easy task. Case I trial and error I guess.

squirrel

Post by squirrel » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:44 pm

Thank you for the idea of the Badger and Fox food Wilpar. I will look into that. The first thing I did was ask my friend about dog foods as she has lots of dogs. I chose a complete dried dog food from Sainsburys just to try out with large pieces so the cats would not be interested in it. Well they weren't, but neither was my fox!!! It certainly had a look, as it chucked the tray down the lawn and scented it well and truly but didn't eat it. There is always plenty of water available in my garden - 4 or 5 water baths but it still made no difference. I found some more cheap frozen chicken at Iceland today with quite big pieces which the cats might find difficult, especially whilst frozen and I am hoping the fox will get it before it is thawed out.

What I didn't consider when I was trying to deter the 3 or 4 cats, was the approx 100 slugs which I should be trying to deter, from eating the hedgie food and everything the fox is given. This evening the dog biscuits were completely obscured from view by masses of whopping slugs as were the peanuts and all the hedgie food - totally gross!!!! I tipped them all out on the lawn and re-filled, but I need a slug free feeding station first!!!

Another idea I had for foxy was eggs. She loves those!! I will have to see if the dog food becomes more popular if it is not covered in slug trail or if she is more hungry - not having eaten already.

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:07 am

Yes, worth trying an egg, Squirrel - I read that it's unlikely any other animal which visits your garden would be interested in it.

I put one out just as it is - in its shell, uncooked and apparently they carefully pierce and nibble a small hole and suck out the contents :fox:

I have seen the fox eating peanuts also sunflower hearts - from different containers .... but I have seen the cats eating the sunflower hearts too ... also suet pellets :rolleyes: :cat:

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:47 am

Saw a large fox last night - looked to be in peak condition - it noticed us at the window - we tried to back off to the side a bit :laugh: but there was quite a long stand-off as it sized up the situation then grabbed the suet block and scampered across the grass and down the steps :fox:

squirrel

Post by squirrel » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:23 pm

Good sighting Nuthatch!! I saw a little baby Fox today at my friend's house. It came into the garden at about 10.30 hrs. It was eating the sunflower hearts under the bird feeders.

Also the other night (about midnight) I saw a little baby fox taking all the stuff out of the bin near the chip shop!!! :D Being naughty already!!!

I found some pig's ears for £1 each at Wilkinsons for Foxy as a treat if I have a night when the cats are particularly annoying. Also packs of knuckle bones and pork scratching type snacks which would do occasionally. I think the latest frozen large size portions of chicken have been working ok. These are from Iceland and quite cheap.

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:17 am

Those pigs' ears seem a good idea, Squirrel :yes:

A fox (presumably :) ) took the fat block early on Monday night so I put another out to see if that would disappear too .... and it did :fox:

These are from the box of 48 mealworm and insect fat blocks - £29.99 from Twootz - that I ordered the middle of June.

I only noticed a while afterwards that they are best before end June, hence the price I suppose.

I wish I'd found space to freeze them - the heat obviously has had an effect on them, although they don't smell completely 'off' - yet :(

It's a pity more people don't provide the best before dates of stuff they sell online. In the summer I suppose there is an advantage to buying from a shop as and when you need stuff.

All this chat is now probably in the wrong place :rolleyes:

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:04 am

Saw a fox early this morning mooching around the garden - had a go at the sunflower hearts - looked pretty good :fox:

Placido

Post by Placido » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:18 pm

Oooohh, I wish I had a foxy visitor - I'd abso luuurve that.

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:15 am

Saw a fox last night as I was approaching the window - I think it saw me - it took a quick sniff at the sunflower hearts then was gone streaking across the grass towards the steps.

The fat block was gone.

I noticed that the fox had a pale tip to its tail :fox: