BUTTERFLIES

All the other creepy crawlies and animals that interact with your garden and the countryside
User avatar
Placido
Posts: 3816
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 10:17 pm
Location: west West-Midlands

Re: BUTTERFLIES

Post by Placido » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:10 pm

Have been posting intermittently about Cinnabar moth sightings (wrong subject thread :rolleyes:) so I'm sticking with it for continuity's sake - today on the 'grass' I noticed an unusual caterpillar. Googled it and discovered to my delight that it's a Cinnabar moth caterpillar :clap:.

Apparently these moths are becoming a little bit rare so I'm v. pleased by this spot :yes:.

User avatar
Jacksparrow
Moderator
Posts: 3126
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:52 pm

Re: BUTTERFLIES

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:12 pm

Placido wrote:Have been posting intermittently about Cinnabar moth sightings (wrong subject thread :rolleyes:) so I'm sticking with it for continuity's sake - today on the 'grass' I noticed an unusual caterpillar. Googled it and discovered to my delight that it's a Cinnabar moth caterpillar :clap:.

Apparently these moths are becoming a little bit rare so I'm v. pleased by this spot :yes:.
The grounds of Placido Towers hold an attraction for the Cinnabars and their caterpillars. If you can stop the birds eating them numbers can only increase. :nod:

User avatar
Placido
Posts: 3816
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 10:17 pm
Location: west West-Midlands

Re: BUTTERFLIES

Post by Placido » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:36 am

It's time to count butterflies again !!
https://bigbutterflycount.org

Is 15 mins a large enough window ??
Aaaanyway, it must be a good year for butterflies (and daytime moffs).

User avatar
Jacksparrow
Moderator
Posts: 3126
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:52 pm

Re: BUTTERFLIES

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:27 pm

Placido wrote:It's time to count butterflies again !!
https://bigbutterflycount.org

Is 15 mins a large enough window ??
Aaaanyway, it must be a good year for butterflies (and daytime moffs).
I tend to agree Placi. 15 minutes is a very short period of time. The RSPB's bird count asks for an hour but I suppose with butterflies it is a big ask ask you may not see any. :shake:

User avatar
Placido
Posts: 3816
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 10:17 pm
Location: west West-Midlands

Re: BUTTERFLIES

Post by Placido » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:49 pm

A small, very pale-blue butterfly.
Have looked for it and reckon it can only be a Holly Blue but it seemed rather small and very pale. However, it seems that they like ivy at this time of year and there's plenty of that around here !!

User avatar
Jacksparrow
Moderator
Posts: 3126
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:52 pm

Re: BUTTERFLIES

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:26 pm

Placido wrote:A small, very pale-blue butterfly.
Have looked for it and reckon it can only be a Holly Blue but it seemed rather small and very pale. However, it seems that they like ivy at this time of year and there's plenty of that around here !!
Yep. A Holly Blue is most likely. I had three in the garden this afternoon.

User avatar
Jacksparrow
Moderator
Posts: 3126
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:52 pm

Re: BUTTERFLIES

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:55 pm

Talking of little blue butterflies I had the other likely candidate turn up today. The keen eyed amongst you will be saying " Hang on Cap'n that's brown butterfly" and indeed it is but nevertheless it is a Common Blue and is the female of the species.
IMGP4920.JPG

User avatar
Jacksparrow
Moderator
Posts: 3126
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:52 pm

Re: BUTTERFLIES

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:58 pm

As well as the Common Blue there were Comma, Painted lady, Holly Blues and Large and Small Whites. Hot weather is Butterfly weather :butterfly: :hot:

greenfinch2
Posts: 1000
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:22 pm

Re: BUTTERFLIES

Post by greenfinch2 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:01 pm

Every one is speaking about butterflies ,and I have seen very little the odd white one and its gone.

User avatar
Jacksparrow
Moderator
Posts: 3126
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:52 pm

Re: BUTTERFLIES

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:42 pm

Not in the chateau garden but in a farmer's field by the road I saw a Brimstone Butterfly today. 5 months early or 7 months late I'm not sure which. :shrug: :butterfly:

Post Reply