Wasp

All the other creepy crawlies and animals that interact with your garden and the countryside
nuthatch

Re: Wasp

Post by nuthatch » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:32 pm

Willpar wrote:The queens chamber could be behind those stones.

Sounds very mysterious and exciting :hyper:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:36 pm

How about this for a wasp nest.

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/en ... spartandhp

Quite large.

Placido

Post by Placido » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:41 pm

Wow - very intriguing in its way, but a bit scary too.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:48 pm

I would think that is almost maximum size. Any heavier and it could break loose from the beams. :eek:

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:09 pm

:eek: "much bigger than a barrel" :unsure: :wow: :clap:

Wonder if they got it away in one piece and where it went.

Placido

Post by Placido » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:46 pm

First wopses today. Round and about so probably appeared to be more than there actually were.
Odd really, because it wasn't very warm although the sun was out. Probably more over the weekend :unsure:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:53 pm

For the past week I've had a succession of Queen Woppies looking for a summer billet in my garage. I have evicted several and killed a few more. :smash:

Placido

Post by Placido » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:26 pm

This is a DIY project which I was told about toady at some length :rolleyes: -
Wasp Trap: take one 2 litre plastic bokkle (HB now happily comes in 2 litres :P), carefully cut it through about 3/4 of the way up - if you're not allowed to use sharp instruments ask your parents or warden to help you.
Note: If you wish you can bodge a couple of holes in the top of the 3.4 part of the vessel, string it and hang it up :) :nod:. Nice and tidy.
Invert the top quarter of said bokkle (that's the part with the neck) and shove it upside down into the remaining 3/4 of the bokkle, ensuring a tight fit. The cap is not required.
Pour a generous amount of HB, or another wasp attractant but HB works best, down through the funnel but not to the top.
Place said contraption in a suitably waspie-type location and wait to be amazed.
How the wasps are removed from the trap was not discussed :shrug:.
Never Found To Fail.

Extra supplies (including bokkle) are readily available from all major and minor outlets or you can get me on my mobile.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:49 pm

Placido wrote:This is a DIY project which I was told about toady at some length :rolleyes: -
Wasp Trap: take one 2 litre plastic bokkle (HB now happily comes in 2 litres :P), carefully cut it through about 3/4 of the way up - if you're not allowed to use sharp instruments ask your parents or warden to help you.
Note: If you wish you can bodge a couple of holes in the top of the 3.4 part of the vessel, string it and hang it up :) :nod:. Nice and tidy.
Invert the top quarter of said bokkle (that's the part with the neck) and shove it upside down into the remaining 3/4 of the bokkle, ensuring a tight fit. The cap is not required.
Pour a generous amount of HB, or another wasp attractant but HB works best, down through the funnel but not to the top.
Place said contraption in a suitably waspie-type location and wait to be amazed.
How the wasps are removed from the trap was not discussed :shrug:.
Never Found To Fail.

Extra supplies (including bokkle) are readily available from all major and minor outlets or you can get me on my mobile.
I believe they showed a similar method on "Countryfile" last Sunday the purpose being to make a survey of the types of Wappy using your garden. After you've captured a few your supposed to pass them through a strainer to separate the waps from the liquid and then send the "catch" off to someone who cares about these kind of things. There was an address supplied but I've forgotten it. :shrug:

Placido

Post by Placido » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:47 am

Aaahaaah, that's where my mate got it from :grumpy: !! To be fair, he said he was told by someone .........