Squirrel

All the other creepy crawlies and animals that interact with your garden and the countryside
Placido

Re: Squirrel

Post by Placido » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:22 pm

Reading back to last year it really is uncanny that The Return of The Squirrel began yesterday :faint:. Had just broadcast the seeds, returned to Vantage Point No. 1 and there it was, already digging a hole in the pock-marked and scarred 'lawn'.
So pleased to see that it appears to be the picture of health, must have had a good summer :(.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:08 pm

Placido wrote:Reading back to last year it really is uncanny that The Return of The Squirrel began yesterday :faint:. Had just broadcast the seeds, returned to Vantage Point No. 1 and there it was, already digging a hole in the pock-marked and scarred 'lawn'.
So pleased to see that it appears to be the picture of health, must have had a good summer :(.
Probably has the date ringed on it's calendar. :nod:

Placido

Post by Placido » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:51 am

Return of The Treerat : first spot for a long time. Coincidentally, first rain ?? :shrug:
Happily scoffing tasties inside the ground feeder cage. Excluded birds not happy.
Don't think the fledgies have ever seen one !!

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:20 pm

Placido wrote:Return of The Treerat : first spot for a long time. Coincidentally, first rain ?? :shrug:
Happily scoffing tasties inside the ground feeder cage. Excluded birds not happy.
Don't think the fledgies have ever seen one !!
Oh dear! Time to dust the scary stick off or tell it one of Peregrine's jokes :)

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:52 am

I put on the ground few half coconut suets for the birds, and I remove them in the evening and put them in the plastic bag so they don't attract unwanted visitors. This morning, I looked out and the first thing I saw was the plastic bag right in the middle of my garden :scratch: . So I go out to investigate and find the bag empty, 2 of the coconut suets buried in one small, recently planted shrub, and 3 are gone missing!!! :eek: I looked around for the signs of digging but don't see any other. The squirrel stole them!! Bloody thief :hissyfit: :(

Edit: I assumed its a squirrel because I have them around and caught them on the feeders or burying things before, but on the second inspection of the garden I found some droppings that look like fox's so I'm thinking now could it have been a fox? :unsure: I mean, the coconut half is quite big thing to carry :scratch:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:12 pm

Butterfly wrote:I put on the ground few half coconut suets for the birds, and I remove them in the evening and put them in the plastic bag so they don't attract unwanted visitors. This morning, I looked out and the first thing I saw was the plastic bag right in the middle of my garden :scratch: . So I go out to investigate and find the bag empty, 2 of the coconut suets buried in one small, recently planted shrub, and 3 are gone missing!!! :eek: I looked around for the signs of digging but don't see any other. The squirrel stole them!! Bloody thief :hissyfit: :(

Edit: I assumed its a squirrel because I have them around and caught them on the feeders or burying things before, but on the second inspection of the garden I found some droppings that look like fox's so I'm thinking now could it have been a fox? :unsure: I mean, the coconut half is quite big thing to carry :scratch:
Thieves in the night is an apt description for Foxes. Squirrels are daytime operators.

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:11 pm

I see, I'm inclined to think it was a fox than :fox: , but I can't be sure because when I noticed it it was already 9am, so plenty of time in the morning to do the thieving. I'm contemplating installing a camera and getting a proof :photo:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:22 pm

The phantom hole digger strikes again :grumpy:
I've put this under squirrel as I don't know who else to blame
IMGP5076.JPG

Placido

Post by Placido » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:26 am

Your expression of disapprobation is dead on target, Jacksparrow. My lawn looks exactly the same :weep:.

Placido

Post by Placido » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:19 pm

It had to happen ......... toady the lawn remodeller took a well-earned break and with obvious delight met the bird bath :tampoline: :rara: :woohoo:for what appeared to be the first time. The wariness lasted approx. 1 second :( then it took a refreshing drink and returned to its work.
I fully expect that tomorrow it will bring a small towel and a cake of soap with it banghead :weep: :doh: