Rats, I've got a rat

All the other creepy crawlies and animals that interact with your garden and the countryside
Placido

Re: Rats, I've got a rat

Post by Placido » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:09 am

Jacksparrow wrote:I can but sympathise with your predicament. Rats can be very persistent once a source of food has been identified and unfortunately most of the activity is during the hours of darkness when watching what is going on is near impossible. Do any of your neighbours have a Moggy which might be asked to do the night watch or are they all curled up on a nice warm sofa until spring finally arrives? :cat: :bolt: :mouse:
Never any food out there when darkness falls. I feed as and when during the day and then early brekkies. This appears to be a diurnal rodent :(.
Moggies ?!?!?!?!?! Knee-deep in the ***** things thanks to The Cat House across the road. Not a sight of any of them (4 at last count, but maybe they got a new one for Christmas :rolleyes:)yesterday.

AND I was let down by Santa again when I re-ordered my standing order for a deluxe 12-bore with scopiscopic sights :shrug:.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:26 pm

The only redeeming feature of Moggies is their ability to control vermin. Unfortunately they cannot distinguish between what is vermin and what isn't hence their nuisance value in our gardens. :(

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:17 am

I looked out the window to see what's going on on my garden feeders and spotted, what I thought was a squirrel (!) , on the ground feeding tray. I've seen squirrels eating out of a tray before, which I don't mind. Only this time, on a closer inspection, I realised its a huge rat! :eek: :faint:
I went out to chase it, it run under the outside stairs, I grabbed a bamboo stick and hit the area few times, but it was gone. There are concrete blocks on the ground in that area, and I noticed that quite a bit of soil was on top of them. I am really worried that it dug a tunnel under it :( . I mean the tunnel would lead into a garage, but still, I'm a bit freaked out :weep:
I moved everything from that area and I removed ground feeders :( , hoping that it would make it not come back again.
I actually don't mind rats, I see them every time I go for a walk near the lakes in my area, and they try and steal sometimes crumbs of food I throw for the birds and ducks, which if fine, but I just don't like the idea of having them in my garden!
I'm thinking of buying a humane rat trap, has anyone tried them?
Where are the neighbourhood cats when you need them?? :wife:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:31 pm

Sorry to hear of your problem butterfly. If you go down the humane trap way and you manage to trap them, then you will need to take and release several miles away from where you live. Just what i read on the net. If there is a burrow leading to where you think, then it could be a nest of them. They are very prolific breeders, so you will need to bear that in mind. Female young can get pregnant at i believe at three months old and can have several litters a year. May pay you to get some professional advice in the new year.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:46 pm

Whatever you decide to do try and keep them out of your garage. At this time of the year they will be looking for somewhere a little cosy . Nothing is safe from them including your car. :shake:

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:11 am

Thank you guys, I have to see how it goes and try and resolve the problem somehow. If I am not successful, I will take your advice Willpar and seek professional help. But that would be my last option. And as I'm not keen on killing any living creature I was thinking of going humane route, like I did with the little mouse I had around. I drove it few miles away from my place and never seen it again, hoping that it lives happily in some new cosy home :nod: . But catching and driving a cute little mouse in your car, and catching and driving a big fat rat in your car are two very different things :hyper: . God, this is really not easy :(
Jacksparrow wrote:
Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:46 pm
Whatever you decide to do try and keep them out of your garage. At this time of the year they will be looking for somewhere a little cosy . Nothing is safe from them including your car. :shake:
He/she/they better don't come close to my car! :wife:

I'll keep you posted :mouse:

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:41 pm

I haven't seen my visitor since the time I posted about it last, which is a good thing. I moved everything I could, spend time around that area (just to make sure if they are there they could hear the noise and it disturbs them :shrug: ) , put some stones in places where I thought they could travel through, but most importantly, few nights ago when I got back home and opened the gate I startled my neighbours cat, who was clearly sitting in the dark stalking :cat: . Boy was I glad to see him :D . Its early days and I will wait and see, but I do hope I don't see my visitor again!

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:43 pm

Sounds good to me butterfly. I did read up on them a few days ago, and from what i can gather, they don`t like change. They like the same runs and stuff like that and not obstacles in the way. So it may pay to just shift stuff around now and again like an obstacle course.