Rats, I've got a rat

All the other creepy crawlies and animals that interact with your garden and the countryside
JooMoo
Site Admin

Rats, I've got a rat

Post by JooMoo » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:19 pm

I've had a monster rat for a good week or so. He's not much smaller than my hedgehog.
I've had 2 rat traps set all the time that we've been here and awake, but he just does not want to enter it. I've tried buttery seeds, cheese spread on ryvetas, vintage cheese and gammon.
It seems like there's only the one and he doesn't visit every night, but what else can I try?
I'm not going to stop putting food out for the hogs as it's just getting to the crucial time and they need to stuff their faces. I'm putting out more food for them at the moment than the rest of the year.
I like reading

Biker

Re: Rats, I've got a rat

Post by Biker » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:51 am

I have three rules about Rats JooMoo.
1/ Do they represent a residential threat (ie: too close to the home, access to the home, too close to the house, likely to infest).
2/ Do they represent a danger to health for you or your neighbours.
3/ Are they likely to threaten the wildlife you are keen to attract.

If the answer is, or becomes a yes to any of the above, then it may be necessary to take action (not poison though, as this has an impact on all wildlife - unless you are able to recover the poisoned Rat and dispose of in a responsible way).

Personally, I don't think you can draw a line between leaving much needed food out for the Hedgies and attracting visitors you would rather not see. Moving the feed as far away from the house or garage or shed will help. Setting traps in the garage or shed will catch the right critters. Relocating any unwanted visitors to an area two miles from your location is recommended by experts, as most can't find their way back.

JooMoo
Site Admin

Post by JooMoo » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:01 am

Obviously I can only tell it's about when the camera snaps it, but it doesn't seem to be around much. In fact 2 days ago I said out loud (that'll teach me) "it must have gone I haven't seen it for a week" And it only seems to be around for a scoff, then disappears. It doesn't seem to have family with him.

I did have pics of the rat and hog sharing a feeding tray, so he is not scaring the hogs off.
I like reading

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:25 pm

It is a wild one? :unsure: not like my mink/ weasel/ferret :laugh:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:50 pm

I read Biker's comments with interest and broadly agree with them. But, and it is a BIG but, Mrs Jacksparrow has a different point of view and will not tolerate a Rat's presence at all :sofa: . I have said before that I credit my local Cat population with keeping vermin like Rats under control and I regard them as my first line of defence. Failing that I have used poison but only in circumstances where other wildlife couldn't take the bait.I have also used a humane trap but caught two Hedgies before the intended target. :rolleyes:

greenfinch2

Post by greenfinch2 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:46 pm

My biggest nightmare ,Im having to use pellets at the moment .

Biker

Post by Biker » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:53 am

:) Mrs Biker used to keep Rats as pets. I must admit, it unsettled me a bit at first. But they were amazing. They are very clever and enjoy contact with humans a lot. They learn quickly and can be taught things. They are also a great deterrent for infestations of either other Rats or Mice. They also carry less disease than a feral Cat.
Must admit though, the sight of a Rat in my garden immediately sends out a warning sign. Is it male, female, pregnant. Has it built tunnels. Has it built a home nearby...or is it just visiting?
I'm sorta wiv Mrs Jacksparra about being wary and wiv Jacksparra about dealing with any threat in the right way. There is a balance here that can be dealt with in a responsible way.

There is a lovely lady in our road. She detests slugs. Can't bear them. She puts out slug pellets by the bagfull. She doesn't mean to harm Hedgehogs, she just wants to kill the slugs. I think we all know what really happens.

I guess it will take some time before we (humans) realise the balance of nature and only take appropriate action as and when it is required.

We could just pursue Rats to near extinction, or learn to understand how and when we need to take action.

Realise this may be controversial, but hey, it's me!!! :shrug:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:18 pm

There are plenty of Rats in the world that never encounter a human being and as long as they're not an introduced species they do not cause problems for the remainder of the wildlife. Rats realised millennia ago that humans are wasteful species and decided to help with our waste disposal and cannot be blamed for using initiative. Trouble is they've fallen victim to their own success along with carrying the blame for transporting disease so I think it is very unlikely that an accord can be struck between ourselves and the Rat as we have no way of controlling their breeding other than killing them. Like it or not it is the only cost effective method to keep them under any kind of control.

JooMoo
Site Admin

Post by JooMoo » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:53 pm

I'd often fancied a pet rat. We would go everywhere together, him sat on my shoulder :)

Anyway, I haven't seen the rat since I last mentioned it on Monday.
I like reading

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:21 pm

[youtube][/youtube]