RED SQUIRRELS

All the other creepy crawlies and animals that interact with your garden and the countryside
nuthatch

RED SQUIRRELS

Post by nuthatch » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:02 am

Do you get red squirrels round your way, peregrine? :)

peregrine

Re: RED SQUIRRELS

Post by peregrine » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:58 pm

Only ever seen one. It was in the ground of the local hospital where I worked. I crossed the road at a 'T' junction going into the grounds. Grounds straight on and to the right had many trees. I crossed the road and just entered the grounds when a red squirrel crossed the road in front of me and ran up the first tree on the left. Ran down again and up the second tree never to be seen again. Only time I have ever seen one locally. I green bowl at a club within the ground that is quite secluded (will need to post a pic of it as it is hard to describe. Have put out a peanut feeder and suet block feeder and even on the first day we had a Nuthatch. With a bit ot luck maybe we will get a squirrel - keep you posted.

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:07 pm

:D You put the peanut and fat block feeders in the hospital grounds? :)

squirrel

Post by squirrel » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:59 pm

Sorry I have been missing for a while - just been amazingly busy recently, but have a few minutes spare to post these pictures of lovely red squirrels at Formby Merseyside last week!!

The Red squirrels had certainly made a great revival. I saw at least 16 - that is many more than any of my previous visits. I was feeding them peanuts and peanuts in shells. This crow decided to capitalise on my feeding and stand in the middle of the feeding area so it could hoover up anything the slightly timid squirrels didn't eat straight away!!!!

Just to show how many were running about - here are 2 with the crow!!

It was lovely to see them back to their best!!!

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:20 am

Wow squirrel, red ones at that. Must have been great to see these lovely creatures.

Placido

Post by Placido » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:29 pm

Thanks for the pix, Squirrel - Made My Day. So pleased that reds are thriving at least in a few places, that allays anxieties !!
The crow doesn't seem to bother them much - must be used to them.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:57 pm

The Crows are clever enough to realise that if there were no Red Squirrels there'd be no-one feeding peanuts. Also it stops the squirrels getting lazy and taking the food for granted.
Great :photo: :yes:

greenfinch2

Post by greenfinch2 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:42 pm

Lovely pictures Squirrel ,good to here from you.

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:00 pm

:D :photo: :goodvibes:

squirrel

Post by squirrel » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:00 pm

Thank you everyone! They are lovely aren't they? So sweet to watch them race about chasing each other - a real treat!! :) They were totally at ease with the crow as was the crow with people and the squirrels!!! :D