RED SQUIRRELS

All the other creepy crawlies and animals that interact with your garden and the countryside
Placido

Re: RED SQUIRRELS

Post by Placido » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:46 pm

Watched a prog by an Irish chap rowing a boat up the western side of Ireland and he said that pine martens are on the increase in Ireland (hooray) - switch to clip of martens frolicking.
Later he showed some red squirrels also frolicking and made the astounding statement that, reds are increasing in Ireland because the greys are decreasing because the martens are increasing.

No-one knows why this is taking place but it is. He mused that for millenia the martens and the reds have rubbed along together but the greys are a recent introduction so they can't live with the martens for some unknown reason.

Anyway, three cheers for that and I hope it happens in England and Scotland too :nod:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:09 pm

Placido wrote:Watched a prog by an Irish chap rowing a boat up the western side of Ireland and he said that pine martens are on the increase in Ireland (hooray) - switch to clip of martens frolicking.
Later he showed some red squirrels also frolicking and made the astounding statement that, reds are increasing in Ireland because the greys are decreasing because the martens are increasing.

No-one knows why this is taking place but it is. He mused that for millenia the martens and the reds have rubbed along together but the greys are a recent introduction so they can't live with the martens for some unknown reason.

Anyway, three cheers for that and I hope it happens in England and Scotland too :nod:
It's a nice thought but I think we're in for a long wait. :(

greenfinch2

Post by greenfinch2 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:18 pm

Scotland has a grey cull ,and they say it is working . :wave2:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:19 pm

greenfinch2 wrote:Scotland has a grey cull ,and they say it is working . :wave2:
Greys have never had a big foothold in Scotland whereas in england they were allowed to progress unchecked. I lived in the English countryside way back in the 50s and 60s and only recall ever seeing one Red. At that time before I knew better I was often out with my airgun or walking the dog so if they'd been around I would have seen them. In the unlikely event that Pine martens gain a strong foothold south of the border other than in Wales I think we're stuck with the Greys forever. Should there ever be a disease like Myxi in Rabbits that affects only Greys I could be proved wrong .

greenfinch2

Post by greenfinch2 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:04 pm

I cannot remember the amount they said had been caught overall but it was a fair amount ,i put the OH forward to be a culler but he took poorly and never managed to do it, :wave2:

Placido

Post by Placido » Thu May 03, 2018 10:19 am

Re the above on the increase of reds in Ireland due to the increase of pine martens, an article has been published in an Irish newspaper confirming the dramatic rise in Kilkenny specifically because of the pine martens' expansion :).

Placido

Post by Placido » Thu May 03, 2018 6:26 pm

Thank you, Nuthatch - knew you'd find it !!

Added bonus :wow: : the collective noun for reds = a scurry :laugh:. Don'cha luv it !!!!

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Fri May 04, 2018 8:31 pm

:laugh: :yes: