Flies

All the other creepy crawlies and animals that interact with your garden and the countryside
squirrel

Flies

Post by squirrel » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:27 pm

Today I was sitting on my patio having a cup of tea when a tiny fly flew into my very hot cup of tea. As it floated there I felt quite sad, and immediately fished it out. I thought of the terrible pain it must have endured and how it was now drowned and scalded following it's accident, when a moment before it was flying happily in the sky on a lovely sunny day. I took it to the sink and let a single drop of cool water fall on it. I then placed it on a pink Petunia flower by the back door and went back to my cup of tea feeling a little sad for it.

About 10 minutes later I got up to go inside and passed the Petunias. I looked down to look at the little fly and noticed it had gone!! There was no breeze, so it must have flown away!! It was in a completely stable position, so it didn't fall anywhere. It definitely must have flown away!! I can't believe the little fly managed to withstand such a high temperature of liquid to float in. Maybe it is due to it's skeletal structure which allows this. Anyway I was really pleased I didn't kill it after all!!

nuthatch

Re: Flies

Post by nuthatch » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:22 pm

Saw lots of hovering flies in the garden toady :D

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Thu May 17, 2018 5:16 pm

Lots of flies in the garden toady basking in the sun, taking off then returning.
They looked like smaller flying ants.

Placido

Post by Placido » Thu May 17, 2018 6:16 pm

How odd ? Can't think why.