Your Garden Hedgehogs

All of that essential hedgie chat about our favourite spiky friends
Willpar
Posts: 2413
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 5:24 pm

Re: Your Garden Hedgehogs

Post by Willpar » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:35 pm

Box along the path is occupied again. All food being ate, am putting out loads of it, boy they cant half put it away.

User avatar
Jacksparrow
Moderator
Posts: 3165
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:52 pm

Re: Your Garden Hedgehogs

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:12 pm

Willpar wrote:Box along the path is occupied again. All food being ate, am putting out loads of it, boy they cant half put it away.
They can sense the coming cold weather and are stocking up. :cold2: :hedgehog:

User avatar
Placido
Posts: 3861
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 10:17 pm
Location: west West-Midlands

Re: Your Garden Hedgehogs

Post by Placido » Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:03 pm

Hedgie & Pelicans 003.JPG
Bad news, I think :(, but very intriguing - spotted this little hedgie INSIDE the ground feeder cage around 1 pm today. It deffy wasn't in there (or anywhere around that I could see) at 11 when I put food out. How it got inside I can't imagine - the cage didn't appear to have been moved :shrug:.
It had a good meal whilst I removed the cage and left it alone. Gone later.
I think I'll see it again tomorrow :unsure: :(.
Someone's still putting out slug pellets, I reckon.

User avatar
Jacksparrow
Moderator
Posts: 3165
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:52 pm

Re: Your Garden Hedgehogs

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:03 pm

Placido wrote:
Hedgie & Pelicans 003.JPG
Bad news, I think :(, but very intriguing - spotted this little hedgie INSIDE the ground feeder cage around 1 pm today. It deffy wasn't in there (or anywhere around that I could see) at 11 when I put food out. How it got inside I can't imagine - the cage didn't appear to have been moved :shrug:.
It had a good meal whilst I removed the cage and left it alone. Gone later.
I think I'll see it again tomorrow :unsure: :(.
Someone's still putting out slug pellets, I reckon.
I expect finding food it getting more and more difficult as the year draws on. Maybe Hedgie was still peckish and topping up before snooze time.

User avatar
Placido
Posts: 3861
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 10:17 pm
Location: west West-Midlands

Re: Your Garden Hedgehogs

Post by Placido » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:25 pm

Please Do Not Adjust Your Set:
2 hedgies 003.JPG
2 hedgies 001.JPG
This affie it was back again (see pic 2) :clap:. Took another pic (still baffled as to how it had got inside the feeder cage :confused:) and blow me down !! a rustle from the adjacent pyrawotsit and another appeared, identical to the first :faint:.
No. 2 hasn't sussed how to get inside but the first squeezed out from a slightly larger than the rest of the wire mesh holes and they both posed for another pic :D.
Moved the cage away and No. 2 had a good meal then they both trundled off into the undergrowth which laughingly passes as my herbaceous border.

Surely they both haven't been poisoned ? I only see one in daylight when it is in extremis :(but they both appeared to be very lively - and hungry :nod:.

Willpar
Posts: 2413
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 5:24 pm

Re: Your Garden Hedgehogs

Post by Willpar » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:38 pm

They look like juveniles to me placi. That suggest to me that they are not finding enough food and are hungry. Natural food will be getting scarce now, and will need fattening up or they may not get through winter. If you want to help, kitten biscuits or small cat biscuits will be fine. Chicken and no fish. If they are on the small side it may be wise to find out if there is a carer in your local. They will over winter if needed.

User avatar
Butterfly
Posts: 369
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:45 am

Re: Your Garden Hedgehogs

Post by Butterfly » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:08 pm

I am missing something here .... why did you say its bad new Placi? And why would they be poisoned? :unsure:
They are so cute! I hope they get through the winter <3

User avatar
Jacksparrow
Moderator
Posts: 3165
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:52 pm

Re: Your Garden Hedgehogs

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:39 pm

Butterfly wrote:I am missing something here .... why did you say its bad new Placi? And why would they be poisoned? :unsure:
They are so cute! I hope they get through the winter <3
Placi is concerned because the hedgies are around during daylight hours which is not natural. Sometimes this is explained by them being confused from eating slug pellets which are poisonous to them. I think Willpar's explanation(above) is more likely.

User avatar
Butterfly
Posts: 369
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:45 am

Re: Your Garden Hedgehogs

Post by Butterfly » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:07 pm

Jacksparrow wrote:
Butterfly wrote:I am missing something here .... why did you say its bad new Placi? And why would they be poisoned? :unsure:
They are so cute! I hope they get through the winter <3
Placi is concerned because the hedgies are around during daylight hours which is not natural. Sometimes this is explained by them being confused from eating slug pellets which are poisonous to them. I think Willpar's explanation(above) is more likely.
Oh I see :eek: , omg I hope Willpar is right and they are ok! Thanks Jacksparrow :)

Willpar
Posts: 2413
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 5:24 pm

Re: Your Garden Hedgehogs

Post by Willpar » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:18 pm

Just been out with the hedgehog food. Cor it is a biting wind out there. Anyways three juveniles out waiting for food. Two inside feeders and one in the garden. should keep the furnace alight.

Post Reply