All of that essential hedgie chat about our favourite spiky friends
Willpar

Re: Your Garden Hedgehogs

Post by Willpar » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:03 pm

Two on the fourth.

Placido

Post by Placido » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:12 pm

It's amazing that you still have them around, Willpar. They look familiar ..... ?

squirrel

Post by squirrel » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:18 pm

Wilpar, So sorry to hear about your poor little hedgie that was run over just as it's weight was getting right for hibernation.

I posted in November that I had taken a very tiny hedgie to Lower Moss wood (My local animal sanctuary). It was just 217 g and they took it in to over winter it. There didn't seem to be outwardly anything wrong with it, but it was out in the daylight and very small, so I took it anyway.

I called it Lucky just like Joomoo called her's. Mine was lucky as I had seen it and taken it for a chance of survival. Sadly when I phoned to check on it's progress, it hadn't made it! I had become very thin and lost more weight and stopped eating and drinking. I was surprised as it had seemed well. I had also taken a badly injured Wood Pigeon which I thought might not make it. To my surprise that one did make it and is now in the outside aviary preparing for it's release back to the wild.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:57 am

Hi Squirrel, sorry to hear the little hedgehog never made it. Can only do your best. Good that the wood pigeon has made it though.

I still have two juveniles that come into the garden, though one of them is not so regular as the other. Just the one last night, but looks fit and healthy. I see it most nights when I go out with the food. Always scampers away though. But it will notice the difference next week when winter decides to call. Not until midweek for here though.

squirrel

Post by squirrel » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:49 pm

Hi Wilpar, I am really glad you have a couple of hedgies still coming. Last year I had a large one which never hibernated. I did keep feeding it throughout.
The food keeps going sporadically this year, so it may still be around. I just haven't seen it for a while. Of course the food might be being eaten by foxy who still comes everyday taking frozen chicken I put out. It is better that way, as it is always fresh for her and she knows what to do with it. She takes it in preference to cooked meat. Also the cats won't bother with the frozen meat. The hedgie food is on a groundfeeder tray under my ivy in the front garden and always has been. I am just going out now to check it's level. I put out dried food, peanuts, sultanas and mealworms, all of which keep fine if no visitors turn up for it. It is protected from the weather by the ivy.

squirrel

Post by squirrel » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:02 am

Quick update! No food left at all on hedgie feeder! Maybe it is around (although I could smell fox quite strongly by my front door!!!).

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:41 am

Two on the eleventh.

They are sure getting big.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:55 am

New one to me. Not seen marks like that before. Don't think they are painted.

Placido

Post by Placido » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:00 pm

Most unusual, Willpar.
Was that a moff at 0.15 ??!!
:butterfly:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:04 pm

Could have been a crane fly placi. Did not think it was a moth.