Your Garden Hedgehogs

All of that essential hedgie chat about our favourite spiky friends
Butterfly

Re: Your Garden Hedgehogs

Post by Butterfly » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:09 pm

That is one nice looking, round hedgehog :D . It looks very content in that little hedgehog house :hedgehog:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:05 pm

Placido wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:32 am
Yes Willpar, I recall how sweet they tasted; wasn't aware that they were Plymouth-made :). Probably Farley's Rusks were served on Drake's fleet instead of ships-biscuit which is why the Armada didn't win the away leg.
Aah yes. You never get the full story from history books do you? :)

Biker

Post by Biker » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:36 am

:drill: Hi team !!! Latest info provided to wildlife hospitals is to avoid any food for hogs that include mealworms, peanuts and sunflower seeds as all of these cause metabolic bone disease. If you'd like to add something to regular food that is safe, honey is currently recommended and is used by hospitals to encourage under weight hogs to eat. :drill:

Placido

Post by Placido » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:51 am

:waving: Hi Bikey. Well !! And all those years we were happily feeding mealworms, peanuts and sunflower seeds to our hedgies :(. Gaaawd, another myth exploded. You'll be telling us next that sturks can't fly !!

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:22 pm

I feel very guilty feeding about my hogs with dried mealworms in the past. :( I have not resumed feeding this year and I have seen no signs of having been visited. I have some dried food which they have refused to eat so I will try adding a spoonful of honey to see if that works. :)

Butterfly

Post by Butterfly » Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:56 pm

Jacksparrow wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:22 pm
I feel very guilty feeding about my hogs with dried mealworms in the past. :( I have not resumed feeding this year and I have seen no signs of having been visited. I have some dried food which they have refused to eat so I will try adding a spoonful of honey to see if that works. :)
I know what you mean Jack, but don't feel too gulty, you didn't know it could be harmful for them, and they were getting all their food naturally anyway, what you gave them was just a top up, so I'm sure they were not harmed :)

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:15 am

Not feeding any mealworms here. I do have calci worms but not using them yet either. They seem to like the dry catfood.

Now, one of the hedgehogs has been very busy, has taken all the bedding out of the box at the end of the path and put it in another nearby. That one is inside the dry stone wall. Has not been used in many a year.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:39 pm

Up until this morning I had seen nothing to suggest any Hogs were coming into the garden. Three CCs on the patio slabs have ended the speculation. :)

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:07 pm

Hurrah, hogs at Jacksparrows. Mine were actually later this year by around 4 weeks. Just males @ the moment as the ladies like to have a ly in.

The hedgehog that moved the bedding has only moved it around 9 feet or less. Still will be able to return the emptied box back to a feeding station.

Placido

Post by Placido » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:22 am

Glad things are rousing :nod:. Another successful season hopefully.