Your Garden Hedgehogs

All of that essential hedgie chat about our favourite spiky friends
JooMoo
Site Admin

Re: Your Garden Hedgehogs

Post by JooMoo » Wed May 11, 2016 7:39 pm

I am saddened to say I saw a squished hog a few doors away this morning.
I had 2 visitors last night, #3 and an unmarked one with just one eye. I shall have to see who visits tonight.
I've just numbered them this year rather than naming them. And I'm logging them as best as I can, but without fail, they'll stand on camera with their unmarked side forward. I shall have to make sure the marks go up to the top of them, so I have a chance of recognising them from the other side.
I like reading

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed May 11, 2016 8:32 pm

As I walked around the side of my garage this afternoon on the way to the front garden I came upon a hedgehog coming in the opposite direction. The time was just after 2:30 so it goes without saying I was a little concerned. It hid under my car until after my return and then proceeded on it's merry way finally arriving at the ground feeder where I leave dried mealworms out at night. It then started eating those and was very reluctant to share with the Sturks and Sturklets who were doing their best to share in the feast. As far as I know it is still out in the garden somewhere waiting for dark presumably.

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Thu May 12, 2016 7:25 am

. :hug2: :) looks quite young :hedgehog:

Sorry about the hedgie, JooMoo :(

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Thu May 12, 2016 4:07 pm

Usually if hedgehogs are out during the day, it is a sign that they are not well. Failing that there may not be much food around, or she has babies and is feeding herself up. Either way, I should keep an eye on it, or catch it and give it a once over. Be nice if there was a carer in your area to get some expert advice.

JooMoo
Site Admin

Post by JooMoo » Thu May 12, 2016 4:46 pm

The squished hog wasn't #3, who visited last night.

Whenever I've seen a hog out in the daytime, I've nabbed it straight away and taken it to my hog lady.
I like reading

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu May 12, 2016 8:21 pm

Another photo taken during yesterdays visit. It did seem very hungry, staying a good while eating dried mealworms. It poottled around the garden and looked to be OK so I resisted the temptation to pick it up and have a close look. We have a wildlife hospital 5 miles away that does good work and if I should get really concerned I won't hesitate to take it there. I have not seen it since tea time last night but all the mealworms I put out last night were gone this morning. :)

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed May 18, 2016 7:56 pm

I am seeing my Hog frequently at present :) . I have to get the dried mealworms out by about 22:00 or it shuffles off elsewhere :( :hedgehog:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Sun May 22, 2016 7:04 am

Hedgehog resting up for the day inside doorfeeder, when I had a look this morning.

JooMoo
Site Admin

Post by JooMoo » Thu May 26, 2016 9:14 pm

I just had a phone from my hog lady to ask if I wanted the hog I took to her last year back. If you remember I spotted a neighbour taking him from the kerb to some undergrowth and luckily I was looking out the window at the time.

I thought he'd probably not survived, but it's great news that he did.
I like reading

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Fri May 27, 2016 8:26 am

Exciting news, JooMoo :bunny: :hedgehog: