Agapanthus

The place for plant tips and queries
Jacksparrow

Agapanthus

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:12 pm

During family holidays to Cornwall I often admired these plants in people's gardens. There was something about the head of vibrant blue flowers but I assumed that they required a milder climate than my part of the midlands. At one point I purchased what I thought was a blue one from a nursery by imagine my disappointment that after a 12 month wait for a flower it turned out to be white and not very big like the Cornwall ones I'd seen. I put the idea on the back burner until one day two years while in Lidl I spotted they were selling small corms( :shrug: ) in a packet for a quid which promised the much lusted after big blue blooms. I followed the planting instructions to the letter and waited and waited, watered, pampered, clearing all the competing weeds etc. My reward.............A single big flower :woohoo:

greenfinch2

Re: Agapanthus

Post by greenfinch2 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:59 pm

JS snap ,lovely last year no where to be found this year. :eek: :wave2:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:18 pm

greenfinch2 wrote:JS snap ,lovely last year no where to be found this year. :eek: :wave2:
Oh dear. I hope mine is not a one time wonder. :eek:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:58 am

They grow all over the Isles Of Scilly. Lovely flowers. The locals pot them up and try and sell to visitors.

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:54 pm

Oh, I think we've got those in the garden - will have to check :laugh:

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:57 pm

In older posts I briefly referred to a white Agapanthus which has been growing in the corner of my front garden for some 20 years. The number of blooms has varied from one year to the next but there was always a decent number until about 3 years ago when a miserable two or three flowers showed their heads. The following year there were none :grumpy: so last year before the flowering season commenced I went out to it a delivered a stern warning along the lines of :prod: "bloom this year or your time is up" My warning was heeded and around fifteen blooms appeared :woohoo:
This year, however, there is only one bloom and my patience is being sorely tested :(
Do I re-issue the threat and hope for better next year or cut my losses and pension it off in favour of a younger model? :shrug:

greenfinch2

Post by greenfinch2 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:30 pm

I would hang onto it one bloom is better than none ,I have none so far.

Placido

Post by Placido » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:47 am

Not that one would attempt to influence a horticultural decision, but I'd hang onto it, just for old times' sake.
A lovely flower, the African lily, and it's something to be proud of.
Plant another one and maybe galvanise the elder into a new lease of life.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:45 pm

Placido wrote:
Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:47 am
Not that one would attempt to influence a horticultural decision, but I'd hang onto it, just for old times' sake.
A lovely flower, the African lily, and it's something to be proud of.
Plant another one and maybe galvanise the elder into a new lease of life.
I am obliged for your input. My latest blue(3rd year this year) has 4 blooms this making the old timers effort look pitiful. I shall delay the decision until the autumn but the grim reaper is sharpening his scythe.

Jacksparrow

Post by Jacksparrow » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:15 pm

Well the results are on for 2020. Blue 4---White nil :(
I'm afraid Whites cozy billet up neat the front of the house is now up for grabs. I will be terminating White's tenancy in the autumn :smash: :prod: