APPLES

The place for plant tips and queries
Placido

APPLES

Post by Placido » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:13 pm

Prog. on radio, very informative ........ Did You Know
that if you take all the pips from an average apple, say, 10, plant them all and they all germinate they will all be different apples :). None will be like the parent plant and not even like each other !!
To grow a copy apple (copy apple :rofl: !!!) from an apple it must be grafted and now I know how to graft an apple :) :yes:.

The other fascinatin' fact is that the fresh apples you buy fresh in your trusted fresh supermarket wot sells fresh fruit may very well be, and probably is, 12 months old :faint: - Who Knew ?!?!?!?!
Reason is that oxygen is 'aging' so They fill the storage container with nitrogen instead and then fruit doesn't age, it slows down like hibernation. It'll keep for an unforgiveable length of time :eek:.
This is the reason why we are able to buy English apples all year round.

Jacksparrow

Re: APPLES

Post by Jacksparrow » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:48 pm

Placido wrote:Prog. on radio, very informative ........ Did You Know
that if you take all the pips from an average apple, say, 10, plant them all and they all germinate they will all be different apples :). None will be like the parent plant and not even like each other !!
To grow a copy apple (copy apple :rofl: !!!) from an apple it must be grafted and now I know how to graft an apple :) :yes:.

The other fascinatin' fact is that the fresh apples you buy fresh in your trusted fresh supermarket wot sells fresh fruit may very well be, and probably is, 12 months old :faint: - Who Knew ?!?!?!?!
Reason is that oxygen is 'aging' so They fill the storage container with nitrogen instead and then fruit doesn't age, it slows down like hibernation. It'll keep for an unforgiveable length of time :eek:.
This is the reason why we are able to buy English apples all year round.
Is this another pitch from The Wee Glen Enterprises. Hot on the heels of the Mango Millionaire Maker and the Groundnut Jackpot Club which plummeted like a plummeting thing out of control. If so,I'm out. If not that's very interesting and I will be investing in a grafting tool as soon as the shops open. :)

nuthatch

Re: APPLES

Post by nuthatch » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:27 am

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: JS

:tree: Absolutely fascinating, Placi. I think I'd just like to see what turned up after planting the seeds :D