Same as you, Placi :flower:

Placido

Re: Crocus Genus

Post by Placido » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:53 pm

:wow: - REE-SPECT :bow:

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:07 am

Anybody that is interested, i was looking up saffron on the net yesterday. And i did not realize that saffron crocus bulbs can be bought and grown over here. Suttons are one of the many suppliers of these bulbs and quite reasonably priced. Once in flower have to pick the stamens and dry. Will keep for a couple of years in an airtight container. The actual flowers are very fragrant and loved by insects. Full instructions are given with the bulbs, and can be grown in the garden or pots/containers. I loved the saffron cake back several years ago, and i bought some buns just over a year ago, could hardly taste the saffron. Might just give it a try in a pot or two.

Two colours purple and white.

Placido

Post by Placido » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:50 am

How interesting :nod:.
First reaction was that the flowers would be bright yellow (the ones that sparrows love to tear apart, for some reason :shrug:) so purple or white would be safer to grow unscathed.

I bought some saffron stamens once (expensive :eek:) but the metallic taste didn't appeal. Mind you, I think I put them into Basmati rice while it cooked to get saffron rice.
Maybe saffron is better in sweet things.

Would be an interesting experiment though to grow them.

Willpar

Post by Willpar » Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:38 pm

This makes good reading Placi. I had heard of Saffron Walden but never made the connection. Was grown in Cornwall also, many moons ago. cheap imports scuppered it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... years.html

Placido

Post by Placido » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:22 pm

Wow, worth growing then at £15 for 0.2 oz. Watching that has brought my back on :(.

Just googled 'crocus sativus' and loads of folk are selling the bulbs. Catching onto a good thing but selling the bulbs is easier than harvesting the stamens which is where the real money lies.

Ahem .... Honest Placi (Exotical Tasties) Inc. - Now In Stock !!!

nuthatch

Post by nuthatch » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:10 pm

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Willpar :laugh: :yes: I've never even thought about the name before - an Aunt lived in Saffron Walden :)

We had lots of the purple and white crocuses planted in the front lawn and borders at home when I was growing up. I always looked forward to seeing them appear. Might have missed something there :scratch: