Cottoneaster

The place for plant tips and queries
User avatar
Biker
Posts: 363
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:25 pm
Location: Urkney Isles
Contact:

Cottoneaster

Post by Biker » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:52 pm

Anyone know what is wrong with my two Cottoneasters? No berries this year and most of the leaves have either fallen off or gone yellow or gone red?
Cottoneasters.jpg

Willpar
Posts: 2283
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 5:24 pm

Re: Cottoneaster

Post by Willpar » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:23 am

Hi Bikey, the ones shown in the photo`s seem like the tree type. Had a quick look around and some variety`s will lose some leaves and change colour. They say that this type is not a true evergreen. They need light pruning and a sunny to shade spot. Also they don't like being to wet. With all the rain they may not be liking the wet cold soil.

User avatar
Placido
Posts: 3736
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 10:17 pm
Location: west West-Midlands

Re: Cottoneaster

Post by Placido » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:13 pm

I'm with Willpar about the drainage, Bikey. If, for instance, your cotoneasters are in high-grade compost and the rest of your garden is clay-based soil then that might be your first rethink .......
Any time, just ask :chuckle:

User avatar
Jacksparrow
Moderator
Posts: 3078
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:52 pm

Re: Cottoneaster

Post by Jacksparrow » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:10 pm

Placido wrote:I'm with Willpar about the drainage, Bikey. If, for instance, your cotoneasters are in high-grade compost and the rest of your garden is clay-based soil then that might be your first rethink .......
Any time, just ask :chuckle:
Just what I was going to say. :rolleyes:

User avatar
Biker
Posts: 363
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:25 pm
Location: Urkney Isles
Contact:

Re: Cottoneaster

Post by Biker » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:43 am

Thanks so much Willpar, Placi and Jacksparra. That all makes perfect sense to me. The area is one I excavated a few years back and is not the natural clay soil. It is a combination of good quality fertiliser and topsoil (dozens of bags of the stuff). In addition, the plastic Eagle Owl people over the back had a slopping roof to their shed installed two years ago and it runs off into my back garden where the Cotteneasters are (they didn't have any guttering fitted).
So, it looks like water logged, pruning schedule, location etc.
Willpar: Yes, they are the tree type. Should grow to 12ft max, but I may not have carried out the right pruning over the years.
Really grateful for this info team. I've never lost a plant yet and I don't intend to.
I'll have that rethink placi and see about relocating the Cottoneasters and moving some of my native plants into the wet zone. :) :yes: :yes:

User avatar
Jacksparrow
Moderator
Posts: 3078
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:52 pm

Re: Cottoneaster

Post by Jacksparrow » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:53 pm

Biker wrote:Thanks so much Willpar, Placi and Jacksparra. That all makes perfect sense to me. The area is one I excavated a few years back and is not the natural clay soil. It is a combination of good quality fertiliser and topsoil (dozens of bags of the stuff). In addition, the plastic Eagle Owl people over the back had a slopping roof to their shed installed two years ago and it runs off into my back garden where the Cotteneasters are (they didn't have any guttering fitted).
So, it looks like water logged, pruning schedule, location etc.
Willpar: Yes, they are the tree type. Should grow to 12ft max, but I may not have carried out the right pruning over the years.
Really grateful for this info team. I've never lost a plant yet and I don't intend to.
I'll have that rethink placi and see about relocating the Cottoneasters and moving some of my native plants into the wet zone. :) :yes: :yes:
Sounds like a lot of work old mate :nod: I'd be glad to give you a hand but a dicky back(from when I was fighting the red menace) holds me down :old:

User avatar
Placido
Posts: 3736
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 10:17 pm
Location: west West-Midlands

Re: Cottoneaster

Post by Placido » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:41 pm

Oh gaaawwd, not The Red Menace AGAIN !!! :( :rolleyes:

User avatar
Biker
Posts: 363
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:25 pm
Location: Urkney Isles
Contact:

Re: Cottoneaster

Post by Biker » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:35 pm

:wave2: Know what you mean Jacksparra. Those red ants can be a nightmare to get rid of. :nod: :)

User avatar
Jacksparrow
Moderator
Posts: 3078
Joined: Fri May 30, 2014 9:52 pm

Re: Cottoneaster

Post by Jacksparrow » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:31 pm

Biker wrote::wave2: Know what you mean Jacksparra. Those red ants can be a nightmare to get rid of. :nod: :)
:rofl: :yes:

User avatar
nuthatch
Posts: 3706
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:51 am
Location: west East-Midlands

Re: Cottoneaster

Post by nuthatch » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:16 am

:laugh:

Ask them when the shed's going to be finished :smash:

Post Reply